Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot my Vista pc - admin password reset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 dbkate

dbkate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

A few days ago, we were "told" by the computer that the password was about to expire and to create a new password. Changed the password for the only login account on the computer and now cannot log on no matter what i do. It has occurred to me that Windows and Vista do not normally require a password expiration/reset and i believe we seriously screwed up here. I cannot boot into Safe Mode either... it only shows the primary login account and of course the new (and tried the original password) will not work. I did attempt the recommendations i found here: How to show the hidden Admin account I am not able to boot into the safe mode so it did not work.

i did some research online and have reset the jumpers on the MB with no changes. When in the bios/cmos settings, the Supervisor password IS accessible and NOT set up; the User password is "grayed-out" and cannot make changes to that setting. I have removed the hard drive and connected it to my main pc via a docking station for reading it as a usb drive, ran malwarebytes and found/removed several I:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\...dll files and one I:\Windows|System32\f3PSSavr.scr .
Before i replace it in the original system, i wanted to know if i can possibly change the admin password some way by accessing the files on the *usb-ed* drive? I have attempted the system restore and Last Known Good Configuration.. nothing changed.
i am not an expert, but know my way around computers pretty well. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
PC Specs:
HP Pavilion a6244n
2gb ram
500gb Hitachi Deskstar hdd
Vista Home Premium SP1
Please let me know what other information you might need to help me with this conundrum!
Kate

*** UPDATE!!*** i just ordered recovery software from HP i am going to start over with this pc!

Edited by dbkate, 16 November 2010 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

there "should" be a key to press like f9, f10, f11, to start the recovery partition (on startup start tapping the key (just like the f8 key starts safe mode) built in the machine.....

good luck, you WILL lose all data on machine!

Edited by keny111111, 16 November 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

<<*** UPDATE!!*** i just ordered recovery software from HP i am going to start over with this pc!>>

That's undboubtedly best for you.

FWIW: Any request for assistance in bypassing a system security measure...such as a BIOS password...runs counter to one of the most basic forum rules.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal, the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Posted for all those who don't seem to remember...the forum rules.

Louis

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

Posted for all those who don't seem to remember...the forum rules.

Louis

sorry louis, an admin can/should delete my post you are correct, my sincere apologies.
kenny
Have A Great Day

#5 dbkate

dbkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Just a note, i was not asking for a way to "hack" into the system, just a way to recover files that were blocked by obvious malware attack. i have recovered all the personal files by removing the hard drive and using data recovery software. Now i will wait for receipt of the recovery discs from HP and rebuild. thank you for your support!
kate

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

understood and congrats, you NEVER know who your dealing with and louis was right, I spoke outaturn, always beleave the best in people....not so on the internet!...
kenny
Have A Great Day

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Nothing personal to either of you:)...it's as I said...every so often ALL members need to be reminded of the forum rules and I took advantage of this opportunity to do so in the Vista forum.

Now that it appears that the OP's issue will be resolved via recovery disks and I've left my reminder...I will now close this topic to prevent confusion.

If you have any problems during your recovery effort, please start a new thread and we will try to assist.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2010 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users