Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jump Virus in Firefox - not found by MBAM or Avira

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CashpointPaul

CashpointPaul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:02 AM

This is my first posting - please be kind.

Over the past few days I have been having problems with network connectivity - after a few minutes (or sometimes, longer - I would loose network connectivity completly (wired)but everythig else is ok - or, sometimes I have a BSOD error (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop 0x000000D1) on my network driver (SISNIC.SYS).

Having installed SP3 for XP recently I suspected I needed a new network driver - this was downloaded from the SIS site and appeared to install correctly (but the setup never seemed to complete) - this changed none of the symptoms, but the name of the network driver changed to SISNICXP.SYS when I got a BSOD.

I suspected a failure of the motherboard ethernet harware and was preparing to replace it with a PCI card - I could not remove the network driver, beliving it to be locked in by AVIRA - I removed that (virus check clean first) - still can not remove the driver - however - Firefox now redirects a 'Jumped' tab on google links. MBAM finds nothing from that partition (and a spare partiton I have for emergencies) and AVIRA does not find anything from the emergency partition. I have access to another computer so have disconnected the suspect computer from the network and I am using that for this post.

I know I have a virus/malware but, when both my usual tools, failed to find it I thought it was time to seek further help hence this post. What I don't know is whether I have a hardware issue with my network hardware - or failed attempts to further infect my pc are causing the lost connectivity / crashes.

HELP - where do I go from here.

Regards, Paul.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CashpointPaul

CashpointPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

Sorry - got to bump.

Update: - BSOD caused by faulty network hardware, now fixed (PCI network card from old PC) - basically system stable now but still have all google search engine results redirected from firefox and ie. from main XP partition

mbam, avira, and superantispyware cannot find anything. looks like several people have got this recently but i don't want to run anything dangerous unassisted - any chance of help.

Once again sorry for bump, Paul

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hello we still may have two types of infection left ,a rootkit and/or DNS changer..

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users