Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Error? Possible Infection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Raelcool

Raelcool

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:16 AM

Okay so first, the problem:

My mouse left click misbehaves... a lot. When I try to left click it will double click rather frequently but not on a consistent basis. It goes through streaks if I open the mouse settings in Control panel and set the double click speed to super fast and just click once and wait then repeat it will open the folder maybe once out of 10 clear indication that I'm not just going insane and clicking twice on accident.

Okay so at first I figured this was a hardware problem. I tried switching the mouse to another USB port and the problem persisted. Next I figured this was a problem with the mouse hardware wearing out, I removed the mouse and plugged in my old one because being a gamer I always make sure I have a backup. It initially worked but started to have the same problem. At this point I got rather suspicious as this mouse did not have this problem when I stopped using it and I find it very doubtful that it would develop the exact problem while sitting on a shelf.

So I proceeded to use my limited knowledge to try and hunt down an infection this basically consisted of running scans on various programs more frequently based on when the mouse was pissing me off more than usual. I havent turned up any results through Avast! or Malwarebytes. But because of the very simple test of plugging in a different mouse I'm lead to believe this isnt a hardware problem. A competitive gamer friend informed me of a friend that had the same problem and that it was from a virus. He said it was visible in the processes list so I spent a few fun hours checking over the process list with several different references (since some of them list absolutely stupid information so whenever I found a process I wasn't sure about I cross referenced it a lot) nothing came up.

I've spent a couple hours googling and binging the problem in different word variations and basically all I get are people asking stupid questions on Yahoo! and being told extremely simple suggestions about checking the mouse settings in control panel etc... snore I've done all that and isnt very helpful because of the nature of the problem I cant really find much useful information

I"m running Windows 7 64 bit and using a Razer Imperator 5600 DPI, my backup mouse is a Razer Deathadder that functioned perfectly until I stopped using it.

This was the best tech help forum I stumbled upon so I'm asking for help here as this is really pissing me off messes with my ability to game -.-;

-Rael

Edited by Raelcool, 16 November 2010 - 03:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

My mouse left click misbehaves... a lot. When I try to left click it will double click rather frequently but not on a consistent basis.

Most likely to be the mouse(s). I suffer the same issue (and have been for a long time, because it "comes and goes") and have seen reports of others too. Get yourself another new mouse (IMO the fancier they are the more likely they are to misbehave).
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Raelcool

Raelcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

My mouse left click misbehaves... a lot. When I try to left click it will double click rather frequently but not on a consistent basis.

Most likely to be the mouse(s). I suffer the same issue (and have been for a long time, because it "comes and goes") and have seen reports of others too. Get yourself another new mouse (IMO the fancier they are the more likely they are to misbehave).

Sorry to be rude but did you read the rest? I'm aware of this but seeing as I tried another mouse and had the same problem made me think it was not a hardware issue. The fact that this particular problem allows for two easy conclusions "1) Hardware get a new one 2) You messed up the settings in the control panel." Make it a hard problem to deal with because people don't read your problem. I've seen that suggested a lot and I have tested it to a certain degree so I want to start looking for solutions to possible infections especially since reliable sources have told me that friends have had this issue from a virus in the past.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

I should have been more diligent with my first posting: My apology.
Edit: No excuses! My reply fell far short of what I expect from myself ... :blush:

As a first step, test the situation some more, by plugging in a wired USB or PS2 connected, simple and cheap "ordinary" mouse. You (or someone you know) is likely to have one or more laying about the place unused somewhere, so it would be easy and not cost anything. (If you have to buy one, they are cheap, and handy to have as a backup.) It would be a quick and easy way to further test whether you have anything more serious to be concerned about.

If the problem persists with a variety of different mouses, that would surely point us in another direction.

I have not encountered a case of an infection being responsible for the "un-intended double-click" mouse problem ... yet. Perhaps someone else will throw more light in this possibility. However, if you wish for some assistance with running some malware scans, please let us know.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 November 2010 - 04:10 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Raelcool

Raelcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sigh apparently it's just an issue with Razer mice, as I tested my backup mouse again just to be sure and the problem still persists on that one them I bummed a cheap microsoft mouse from a friend and I couldnt get it to double click in nearly 50 tries.. Was very frustrated thanks you for taking the time.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

apparently it's just an issue with Razer

Not just Razer: I have the problem with a Logitech, and when the problem gets too bad I resort to an old Microsoft mouse until the Logitech decides to behave itself again.

Good to know that your issue is not more serious or more complicated, as frustrating as it may be at times.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users