Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista will not start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1976MKIV

1976MKIV

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

I have a Sony Vaio laptop model VGN-CS160J. It runs Widows Vista 64 bit operating system. It has been running slow lately and now I can't get windows to start. The computer turns on, the Vaio screen comes up and I can press F8 to get into some different start up options. If I dont press F8 It justs loads windows forever. If I try to start it in any of the safe modes the screen goes black but I can see and move the mouse cursor. Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

what options do you get with the f8 key?

last known good configuration? (if yes then try that)

or try system restore in cmd prompt, heres a link... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 16 November 2010 - 06:02 AM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 1976MKIV

1976MKIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

Keny,
Last Known Good Configuration is one of the options. When I choose that option the screen goes black and all I can do is move the cursor around. As for the system restore link you pasted, it requires safe mode with command propmt and if I click that option the screen goes black and all I can do is move the cursor around.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

IF you start tapping the f10 key (just like the f8 key) it will reinstall vista on your machine....YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA its another option and you will have a machine "out of the box", or wait for others to reply....good luck

it may give you a "windows old" folder when doing this, where you could retrieve data. ***fingers crossed***

Edited by keny111111, 16 November 2010 - 12:31 PM.

Have A Great Day

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

What kind of hard drive do you have?

#6 1976MKIV

1976MKIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Keny,
I pressed F10 and re installed everything. So far evrything seems fine. I lost a whole bunch of data and pictures but I guess thats the price we pay. Thanks for your help.

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

sorry you had to go that route, try to get yourself an external hard drive. so if this happens again you will have everything backed up..or even a couple flash drives.

a little prep work and theses things aint so bad!

best of luck.
Have A Great Day

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:03 AM

Im sure that there was no need to reformat and reinstall Windows Vista.

If you haven't written anything to the drive yet you may still be able to recover data that was lost using: Recuva. Reformatting/Reinstalling Should be a last resort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users