Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger 7.0

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heartofgold

Heartofgold

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

I have several accounts setup on my Windows Xp Home Edition computer. I have MSN Messenger installed. I want to know if there is a way to stop the Limited accounts(children) from using the program. I want to create one account where they can access it but with a password where only I will know.

When they enter their accounts to do homework, messenger starts up and all their friends are online. I want them to only do their homework on their accounts.
Life is what you make it......so don't waste time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:24 PM

You could set up another limited account, uninstall MSN Messenger then log on to the new account and install Messenger there. Install it for that user only (if it has that option, I don't know if it does) then it wont be available on the kids accounts.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Heartofgold

Heartofgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

I tried opening another account and MSN Messenger was available there, even though I hadn't added it. I guess once it's on your computer, everyone gets it. I'll try to come up with a solution. Cross your fingers!

Edited by Heartofgold, 27 November 2005 - 12:04 AM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

That's why I said uninstall Messenger before making the new account. It's at the time of installation you are (maybe) able to choose if the app is available to all users or just the user logged on.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Heartofgold

Heartofgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:28 AM

sorry, but I forgot to mention that I did uninstall MSN Messenger and then reloaded it using my Admin account and it still shows up in other accounts.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

I think you can remove it from the "all accounts" start folder and put it only in your account's start folder.

Remove the program from the menu in the limited accounts.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

I think I replied to this on another forum this morning. Here's a quote of my reply:

Here's little program from Microsoft (it's free) that allows this type of thing (but I haven't tried it myself).

Shared User Toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Heartofgold

Heartofgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:18 AM

Thanks, but it looks like it's something for someone with a lot of knowledge. I don't want to screw up the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users