Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigsal

bigsal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

Windows Explorer is in this continuous stopped working/restarting loop. I've ran SuperAntiSpyware Quick Scan and it came back with 21 Adware Cookies and cleaned quarantined them. Ran a Quick Scan on Malwarbytes and it had nothing reported. Should I Perform Full Scans or go a different route? Thank you for any help.

Edit to my previous: Ran Full Scan with SuperAntiSpyware, 16 Adware Cookies found and quarantined. Ran Full Scan with Malwarebytes, nothing found. When I now try to boot up in normal mode after a few minutes my screen goes blue with a black box in the middle saying something to the effect of my computer is being shutdown to prevent it from harm. Also talks about doing a Physical Dump and that I should disable searching/cache in BIOS? I have no idea how to do that. Computer runs fine in Safe Mode, Normal Mode is where the problems start. Thanks again.

Edited by bigsal, 16 November 2010 - 03:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1peter1

1peter1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

I think you've probably caught something nasty! Reformat and reinstall OR head over to the virus removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html and check out the Preparation Guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html, then post your logs. It may take a couple of days to get an initial response...

#3 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:06 AM

Windows Explorer is in this continuous stopped working/restarting loop. I've ran SuperAntiSpyware Quick Scan and it came back with 21 Adware Cookies and cleaned quarantined them. Ran a Quick Scan on Malwarbytes and it had nothing reported. Should I Perform Full Scans or go a different route? Thank you for any help.

Edit to my previous: Ran Full Scan with SuperAntiSpyware, 16 Adware Cookies found and quarantined. Ran Full Scan with Malwarebytes, nothing found. When I now try to boot up in normal mode after a few minutes my screen goes blue with a black box in the middle saying something to the effect of my computer is being shutdown to prevent it from harm. Also talks about doing a Physical Dump and that I should disable searching/cache in BIOS? I have no idea how to do that. Computer runs fine in Safe Mode, Normal Mode is where the problems start. Thanks again.

yeah, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in the past month or so and I'm beginning to think I should just reformat and "start over" but I have no idea how to reformat and I don't have a Windows7 disk. Do I need a Windows7 disk to reformat? I have everything that I want saved. Thanks for the help.

#4 1peter1

1peter1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

Does your PC have a recovery partition? Dell, HP etc. usualy have one so that you can restore it to exactly as it was when you took it out of the box (except for all the dust!).

#5 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

I would I know if I have a recovery partition? I have an Acer 5532 laptop if that helps. I made a restore disk, is that what you were referring to? Thanks

#6 1peter1

1peter1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

So sorry for the delay in replying. Your Acer should have a restore partition. If you want to restore it to it's factory settings, there are detailed instructions on the Acer web site here:
http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/ Click on the "Restoring the operating system" link. It should be fairly straight forward, but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to reply a bit quicker next time! Please let us k now how you get on.

Edited by 1peter1, 19 November 2010 - 02:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users