Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

host files and gala search problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 japan-manfish

japan-manfish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hello

I'm out of my depth and need some help please.

Trying to fix a friends pc. When I started it would run slow , not change window, not go to the correct web site, search box in IE8 only directs to Gala search. Anti Virus AVG would not open.

I unistalled Anti virus, Installed spybot then immunized system which would not work on global hosts. I then scanned system which found lots of problems and fixed nearly all but microsoft.windows.redirected.hosts and fraud.windowsprotectionsuite.

Next I installed malwarebytes. This ran and found 700 or so problems and fixed them all.

In desparation I install Kaspersky trial package and ran it found and fixed loads more problems.

Spybot still could not fix or immunize the above problems

I tried to use hosts expert with some instuction off of another site but it could not replace host files

Ran spybot in safemode it then fixed all previous faults.

System still sends all searches to Gala. I'm using firefox with no problems.

When PC boots it has two windows options, both are the same.

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users