Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! USB ports not working and drivers not automatically installing!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mythe

mythe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hello! I'm a new user here and I have a really frustrating problem with my usb ports and their drivers. I have a toshiba satellite u305-s7448 laptop and I am running windows xp sp3.
Basically, my usb ports were working fine. Recently, I noticed that whenever I plugged in any new devices the system would not recognize them. There would not be a "your new hardware was not installed properly" pop up or anything like that, the device would get power for a second or two and then power would be cut off. (for instance, a flashdrive with a led would light up for 2 secs after being plugged in and then the light would go out) The item would appear as an unknown device in device manager.
This would only happen to new devices. My flashdrive, phone, mp3, mouse, and any devices that I had used with the computer before would all function fine, but anything new would not get drivers installed automatically.

I did a lot of searching online and some people recommended that I uninstall all of my usb controllers/drivers and then restart my computer twice in order to force a reinstallation. Well, I did that, and the drivers did not reinstall themselves automatically, and furthermore all of the devices that were previously working now don't work either. In device manager under "other devices" I have 7 entries titled "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" with the yellow exclamation point/question marks next to them. When I try to install the drivers manually, the 7 entries all turn into "Unknown Devices" I have checked BIOS and USB is enabled. When I plug anything in now, it's the same as before - they will get power for a moment and then shut off. There is no popup on my computer about any errors or anything, and the devices do not show up in device manager. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Edited by mythe, 15 November 2010 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

In device manager under "other devices" I have 7 entries titled "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" with the yellow exclamation point/question marks next to them.

Did you check the status of the USB controllers? It must report the reason the devices are not working. Also what does it show in the drivers tab?
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

#3 mythe

mythe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

It says:
Device type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown
Driver Status:
This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Reinstalling the drivers does not help though, it just changes the yellow exclamation point entry from "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" to "Unknown Device"

In the Driver tab it says
Driver Provider: Unknown
Driver Date: Not available
Driver Version: Not available
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users