Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable System, scans show clean but virus symptoms persist

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DSBn

DSBn

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

We have a small network, 15 workstations (XP-Pro SP3) and one server (WinSBS2003 SP2), Symantec Endpoint Protection ("SEP") 11.0.6005.562 running from server (pushed to workstations), definitions current. Multiple machines were infected with a couple of different beasts, some much more destructive than others. One trashed system files (or else I did it during cleaning attempts); that one is a lost cause. I've another one that I've done all I can think of to clean, while hopefully not having done any damage. The real problem is that infections keep popping up around the network, and I'd really like to put a stop to it.

For this post, I'll concentrate on the one system giving me the most problems currently

Symptoms: system is slow and unstable, any search engine result link is redirected to another another search provider page (yet a link location pasted in the address field will load properly), and also unbidden pages open in tabs requesting "registration".

Attempts to clean: Ran AVG Rescue CD boot from Linux (updated to 11/15/2010 definitions & optional program updates) which caught & killed a trojan, ran MBAM, ran Combofix, looked through the HJT log (nothing jumped out as inappropriate or nefarious), ran CCleaner (nothing significant). Several of these were run also in safe mode. The symptoms continue but the scans show clean.

Any help is much appreciated! I have Comboxfix & HJT logs if desired.

Thank you!

Edited by Budapest, 16 November 2010 - 04:56 AM.
Moved from XP ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users