Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Not Found... or anything else for that matter.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 freehopper

freehopper

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

I've completely run out of ideas at this point.
My laptop was running fine one day, then the next it wouldn't boot.
When I restarted, it let me choose between the general options, boot normally/safemode/last good configuration.
None of these would boot... eg) the safe mode would load about 10 processes and then freeze indefinately.
This had happened once before, and I threw in a windows installation CD, did a fresh install of windows.
It worked fine after that, I deleted all the old files and began anew, and things were working fine until it happened again.
So I figured it worked last time, I'll do a fresh install again. However, I didn't want to go through all the trouble of re-updating to SP3 again...
So I put in a hacked version of Windows XP Professional that had already been updated to SP3. It started up the usual process, and I walked away while it did it's thing.
When I came back, it was off. Odd. So I turned it on, and after a couple of hardware stats I got the message Operating System Not Found.
Any key at this point restarts the system, and when I try to boot from CD (Hacked/Original both) it doesn't come up with the usual prompt to boot from CD with any key.
Instead it attempts to boot like normal, and comes up with Operating System Not Found.
If I could just get the system to detect the CD then it would give me a whole bunch of recovery options, but it just won't boot a from CD/DVD Drive, even though it's selected as the First option.
This is the same even when I remove the Hard Drive, so that's not to blame.
But in the BIOS menu it comes up with Internal Hard Drive [none] anyway, and I'm not sure it was like that before...
But the PC should still be able to run a disk without the Hard Drive right?
So yeah. I've messed around with the BIOS and other options to the greatest extent possible, reset it several times, but nothing does anything.
I'm at a stalemate, and I've run out of ideas. I just don't know what to do with it any more.
It's a decent computer when working, I miss it... can anyone give me any advice at all?
Thank you in advance.

Edited by freehopper, 15 November 2010 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

I suspect, you may have hard drive issue...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 freehopper

freehopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have found some Windows XP Home Edition recovery CDs that I used on a previous laptop.
My version is Professional, but I think it may still do the trick...
At least it might, but the recovery function cannot work because it cannot detect my Hard Drive.
I've re-plugged it in several times, and edited the BIOS settings related to it without any success (reset these after).
The system still says: Internal Hard Drive: [None], and the system still won't boot from CD for some reason.
The floppy-disk booting system worked, but is of no use because the system doesn't detect the Hard Drive.
I will try and get a computer with a floppy disk drive so that I can copy across the file you recommended.
However if my HDD is malfunctioning, this doesn't really explain why I'm unable to boot from my CD drive.
Again I am stalemated... I can't run the recovery utility if my computer won't detect the hard drive.
This really sucks TT__TT any more ideas?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

You may need to set the CD-Rom as first boot device if it isn't already (if you don't know how to do it, see HERE)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 freehopper

freehopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:39 AM

I've already set as the first boot device in BIOS.
It doesn't work if I use it as a boot device manually either.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

Maybe bad disk.
Try to create hard drive test CD, as described in my previous reply and see, if it'll boot.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 freehopper

freehopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Boot... do you mean boot the test CD?
Is that a test of my Hard Drive or my CD/DVD Drive?
Because as I was unable to boot from CD previously, I was planning to run the test off floppy disk.
Do you think I should run it off a CD ROM instead?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

Booting from the hard drive testing CD will tell us, if your CD drive is functional and if it is, you can test your hard drive at the same time.
If the CD won't work, then you can use floppy drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 freehopper

freehopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

Well, as it turns out, somehow the CD Drive and the Hard Drive failed at the same time.
I wonder how this happened... anyway, I replaced the HDD and it started running, then I tried to reinstall XP, but it was a no-go.
So I installed Ubuntu from a USB stick.
Problem solved, more or less.
Thanks for the help though.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Pretty bad coincidence :(

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users