Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Problems - "Found New Hardware" not working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi,
I'm experiencing some problems with connecting some of the USB devices all of a sudden. I am using an Emachines T3256. The other day I moved the computer and unplugged everything. When I went to plug in the USB 2.0 hub, as soon as it says "Found New Hardware" the computer slows down, I can't pull up the task manager or load anything else on the computer. When I unplug the device its still slow and I have to just hit the shut down button because I can't even get it to shut down. Shortly before this, I had a trojan and it messed up a lot of stuff on the computer. Apparently it was on the computer for a few months, and I noticed there were files randomly being corrupted all over. Took me about a week to find the source of the trojan and properly delete it. The same day I fixed it was when I moved the computer and this problem started. I did a check disk/repaired errors, registry clean, system file check, etc...

There is no yellow flag signs in the Device Manager for the USB. I unplugged everything and then replugged everything back in. I tried to plug it into every port. Now I'm officially stumped. I can plug the printer, the scanner, the webcam, but the USB 2.0 hub doesn't work. I need a new mouse for this computer so I just bought a new USB mouse. That triggered this problem as well. Then I bought another USB mouse, the same thing happens. I tried the USB mouse from my laptop, and that one works for some reason but the cord is too short for the tower computer.
This problem seems to be triggered by 2 out of 3 USB mice, and the USB 2.0 hub.
What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

In Device Manager, uninstall all items from under USB Controllers section.
Restart computer. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did that last night and ran into a serious problem.... I uninstalled all the USB drivers including the mouse that was working. When I went to reboot, it got stuck on the "Found new hardware," the computer then slowed down to a halt, like I mentioned in my previous post. It could not reinstall any of the USB drivers, or recognize ANY of the mice, even after several reboots.
I had to get to the system restore via keyboard, took me about an hr (the computer was running extremely slow) but I was finally able to restore it back. At one point during this I managed to open the task manager and it showed "Services.exe" CPU 100%

Edited by astraltraveler1984, 16 November 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

I'm sorry for all complications.
I suspect, your computer may be infected.
Start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Its been about 2 months now, and there are no viruses or spyware on my computer. I've scanned the computer up and down. I'm just dealing with the aftermath of a previous virus. To make this worse, the DVD drive burned out a while ago and needed to be replaced, for some reason it was only reading CDs and not DVDs anymore. So about a month ago I purchased a new drive in hopes of being able to use the DVD that came with the computer to do a fresh install. I went to install the new DVD drive, and it says "found new hardware" and causes the same thing... it triggers "Services.exe" to use up 100% CPU slowing the computer to a complete halt without installing the drive. If I restart with the DVD in the drive, in an attempt to see if it still recognizes it, all it shows is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. So I unplugged the drive for now. The computer works ok, but I can't update a lot of my programs, and I can not use mostly anything that requires a USB plug, or my DVD-Roms.

This definitely has to do with some of the files the virus previously corrupted. Literally I'm at the point where I might need to just toss this computer in the garbage/buy a new one because I have run out of solutions. Given the information I have posted, if anyone could please help me figure out how this can be resolved it would be a lifesaver. Thank you.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm back from the Malware forums, M0le assisted me with trying to identify any hidden spyware. M0le sent me back here because we only found a few residual hacks. The fixes did not solve the problem. M0le said this is most likely a Windows issue. Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373351.html#entry2093954

Edited by astraltraveler1984, 27 January 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

OK, can you post some update on what the current issues are?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Same problem as before reread post 1# and 5#. Can not use most USB devices, DVD roms, or reinstall Windows XP. Anytime I plug something new in, as soon as "Found New Hardware" pops up, it causes services.exe to spike to 100% CPU. It does not install any new drivers and the computer slows to a complete halt. I just want to be able to reinstall Windows and start fresh.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

What do you mean by you can't reinstall Windows?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

To make this worse, the DVD drive burned out a while ago and needed to be replaced, for some reason it was only reading CDs and not DVDs anymore. So about a month ago I purchased a new drive in hopes of being able to use the DVD that came with the computer to do a fresh install. I went to install the new DVD drive, and it says "found new hardware" and causes the same thing... it triggers "Services.exe" to use up 100% CPU slowing the computer to a complete halt without installing the drive. If I restart with the DVD in the drive, in an attempt to see if it still recognizes it, all it shows is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. So I unplugged the drive for now.

I can not make use of the Windows XP disc or the disc that came with the computer to do a reformat, because services.exe maxes out the CPU on the computer when I add new hardware and will not install the driver for the DVD drives. (See the above quote from my previous post)

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Maybe, you should...

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

I just did that and they sent me back to you, because they couldn't find anything. They said it was a Windows XP problem.
We did a DDS scan, OTL, Combofix, and Malwarebyes scan.

Edited by astraltraveler1984, 29 January 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Sorry for that :)

Frankly speaking, I don't have any fresh ideas here.
Maybe motherboard problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 astraltraveler1984

astraltraveler1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

My only guess is that something is corrupt in the windows system files. Tons of files on my computer got damaged and corrupted when I had that trojan over the summer. I can't even uninstall or reinstall windows service pack, I get an error. What is services.exe? and what does it have to do with new hardware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users