Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Computer Promblem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thiltz

thiltz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hi, I came here to see if anyone can help me with my mysterious computer problem. I can't access my internet options, control panel, print from internet explorer (I can print from my tool bar though), use system restore in safe mode, or any other security features. This happened about 9 months ago or longer. I have been literally sitting here for about 10 hours today trying to figure this out and have worked countless hours in the past, but no luck. My brother-in-law, who is a computer programmer tried to fix it also, but no luck. Not to long before this happened, I updated to ie8 and I have vista. My brother-in-law, uninstalled IE8 & reinstalled, but it didn't make a difference. He suggested I upgrade to Window 7, but I'm thinking there has to be a better solution than that. I'm leaning towards I may have some kind of virus, missing registery, or something is blocking my access. I have Norton & Ad-aware installed on my PC and they show everything to be fine. I have tried hundereds of things that others suggested and nothing works. My computer runs and works great, other than not being able to access any of the features I mentioned. When I try to click on internet options, it does absolutely nothing. Also, I tried going to the start menu and typing "inetcpl.cpl" (and nothing). I tried running the internet w/o add-ons, that didn't work either. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I'm not very computer savy, so please explain so I'll understand. I would appreciate any input, Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

I I were you, I'd spend those 10 hours (in fact, much less) to back up all data and reinstall Windows.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 thiltz

thiltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

I would have no idea where to begin to do that, like I said I don't know much about computers. But, you think that would fix my problem?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

If your issues are caused by some hardware issues, reinstall would fix everything.

How to reinstall Vista: http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/144783-clean-install-guide-works-32-bit-64-bit.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 thiltz

thiltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

Thanks, maybe I'll attempt this over the weeekend!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

Keep us posted :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users