Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sata II hitachi HD in 1.5GB/s mode?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lcw132

lcw132

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

I just got the Hitachi 2TB H3IK20003272SP drive from newegg. This drive is not listed on the Hitachi website for product documentation.

BIOS doesn't detect the new drive, even when switching cables. It throws an china grammar very good error (PRESS g!) message and won't boot unless the new drive is unplugged. I updated to the latest BIOS to no avail.

My motherboard (asus a8v) only supports sata 1.5GB/s. I ran the Hitachi disk tool (ftool) and it will only detect my maxtor 100GB drive. I can't change sata speed of the 100GB drive, and the hitachi 2TB doesn't show up even when plugged in hot after successful boot.

There is no BIOS setting that will help.

There is no jumper block on the back of the drive, but there are two pins in a jumper like arrangement that I may bridge just to see what happens. Anyone know how to set this drive to 1.5GB/s mode, or just tell me where I can get some product documentation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145369 Is this the drive that you bought?

I don't see why is wouldn't work. I believe that the motherboard should still be able to use the drive even if it is a faster speed it would just step the speed down. Try to use the other sata cable from the other drive and see if bios recognizes the drive then, you might have a bad cable. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 lcw132

lcw132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Already tried using the other cable. New HD not detected, and Windows doesn't boot unless the new HD is unplugged.

Hitachi Feature Tool (ftool) is supposed to be used to set the drive to sata I mode so mobo can detect it. However, ftool won't detect HD until the motherboard detects it.

Still haven't found any particular documentation on this drive, but I'm guessing the jumper limits the drive capacity, not speed. Any help?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/9E4E119077AD1D8B86256DD0005A2F74/$file/3Q10_ProdRefCard.pdf

Drive listed near bottom, under Hitachi Global info. Seems to be the only piece of info I can find at Hitachi site.

I think I'd send it back, just because it seems to be so poorly documented...and doesn't seem to function.

Louis

#5 lcw132

lcw132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

UPDATE:
Without any documentation to their function, I jumpered the two pins on the back. Nothing. Same chinese error message.
Then I unplugged the drive, loaded ftool, and hotplugged it again with the jumper on. DETECTED!!
Using this method I changed sata speed using the features menu to 150MB/s (sata I) and powered down.
Now BIOS, Windows, Linux, etc finds the new 2TB drive (without the jumper)
If you had my problem try this (and always be careful when plugging in a drive inside your case when it's running)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users