Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitors in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

So, I recently installed windows 7 on my computer and I have triple monitors. Everything worked immediately. So I told a friend that windows 7 kicks ass, and her dual monitors will work no problem.

Turns out, I was wrong. :(

She has a Asus v9520/td/256m video card, and it ran dual monitors just fine in Windows XP. However I am having difficulty finding drivers for windows 7. Both monitors are working in windows 7, however they are mirrored, and we do not have an option to change them to landscape. (In the display properties, it only 'sees' one monitor)

Any help out there?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Try right-clicking on an open space on the Desktop and select 'Screen Resolution' then click 'Advanced settings'. Click 'Detect' to find the second monitor and then 'Extend' the display.

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

The second monitor is not being detected. Thus, there is no "extend" display option shown. Any other ideas? I'm stumped.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Select the drop-down menu next to 'Display' and select the video board that you want the video output from. Then in the box where it says 'No Display detected' click the drop down box and select 'Try to connect on VGA anyway' or see if the monitor shows up then see what happens.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 15 November 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#5 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

The drop down menu next to Display only says "1. on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". There is nothing else listed-there is no option that says "no display detected".
The video card is not onboard. Both outputs are on the videocard. One output is HDMI and the other is using the serial port.
Thanks for your help!!
Any other ideas??? :-/

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

You could check out this video from Microsoft, it might help with some kind of a clue as to what is going wrong for you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Move-windows-between-multiple-monitors

#7 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Thanks so much for your replies!
I found a link that provided the necessary driver to get the dual monitors working.
It turns out that there is no "official" windows 7 driver for my set up so I had to download the 32 bit windows vista driver instead. This worked perfectly!
Here's the link to the page where the driver can be found.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85_2.html

As stated earlier, I am using a asus v9520 video card with an NVIDIA chipset. The driver is for the GEFORCE FX5200 graphics card.

#8 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

It's good to hear that everything has worked out for you. Thank you for letting me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users