Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a broadband router be infected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ohanna

ohanna

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi, I need to fix my dad's infected computer and I am going to connect it to my broadband cable modem directly via a cable (I have a Motorola SB 5102). Is it possible that I will get my modem infected? I will be using the modem for my other clean computer after, so I don't want the modem to be infected, and then in turn infect my clean computer.

I need to connect the infected computer to the modem because I need internet connection... but don't worry about why I need that, I just wanted to know if a router can get infected.

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Some malware can change the DNS servers in your router. Malicious DNS servers can direct you to phishing websites.
So make sure that your DNS server addresses in the router are not changed. You can follow these steps to protect your router from such malware :

- Restart your router.
- Change the default passwords to strong ones.
- Turn off remote access to your router. (Check your manual). This will disable access to your router from outside (external IP addresses).
- Check the DNS server addresses (again check your manual). See if these are same as your ISP provided (contact your ISP). Usually you have 2 DNS servers set in your router. When you are in doubt you can use Google public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
- Save the settings in your router. Your router will(should) restart automatically.

One way to check whether your router is accessible is from outside (from an external IP) is :
- Find out your IP address (when you are online) using http://www.whatismyip.com/
- Then visit, http://www.dnstools.com/ and choose option check port 80 then put in your IP address you earlier found. Click GO
- If you get Connected successfully to port 80. Then your router is accessible from outside (not good - change your router settings).

Edited by Romeo29, 15 November 2010 - 11:29 PM.

#3 ohanna

ohanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Thanks a lot Romeo29.

Actually I don't have a router, I have a broadband modem. Would it get infected?

(Thanks for the details regarding the router, I will save the info and use that when I get a router.)

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

I am sorry that I got confused by your post title "Can a broadband router be infected". Please accept my apologies
In my opinion, a cable modem cannot be infected if you use it on an infected computer.

#5 ohanna

ohanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Romeo29 for pointing that out. I just realized that I got the title wrong myself! Sorry about that.

Thanks for the advice. When I get a router in the near future I will be able to make use of the suggestion re: the router too.

Meanwhile I don't have to worry about infecting my modem. Many thanks :)

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

You are welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users