Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access specific sites (imgur.com / megaupload.com / etc..)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Marcelo Delgado

Marcelo Delgado

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

All of a sudden I am unable to access these sites (megaupload.com / imgur.com) and possibly many others, yet most other sites work as normal. I have checked my hosts file and it has not been messed with. I ahve tried to ping these sites and receive time out responses. When I try to hit the sites with another computer they load without issue.

I have ran Malwarebytes and it found Trojan.FakeAlert. It asked me to reboot to remove, and it removed it. Doesn't look like its related.

I have ran GMER and it detected rootkit activity. But need expert guidance as I do not know how to read the logs and do not want to make my situation worse.

One of my 2 CPUs goes to near 100% at times for long stretches of time where my computer becomes near unresponsive without any program warranting or showing that kind of CPU activity in the task manager's performance monitor.

I'm on Windows XP SP3. Need help, please advise.

Edit: After near an hour of 100% cpu activity, my cpus came back to normal and now miraculously I am able to browse these sites. Rootkit going into some sort of stealth mode? http://www.virustotal.com is still unresponsive from the infected machine.

Edited by Marcelo Delgado, 16 November 2010 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users