Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset / Microphone help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Basically I've gotten used to wearing headsets the wrong way around when gaming. This wasn't a problem unti lately I got one with a micrphone to participate in clan matches.

I play first person shooters but if I wear it the correct way i can't hear where people are located so it is vital I have to wear it round the wrong way. Of course my microphone points backwards so is totally useless.

My soundcard is a realtek high definition audio device.

I'd like to find a software fix to basically switch around the sound of the headset. So left sounds into the right and vice versa. Just simply switching the current 2 directions around so when people are on the left I hear them on the left! and if they are on the right to hear them on the right. with RealTek audio manager i can set it to 7.1 surround or just normal sterio which is 2 directional. Either way the people aren't heard in there correct place.

Please, I will greatly GREATLY appreciate if somebody can help me. I've tried various headsets and all have this problem.

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2010 - 01:12 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Audio/Video ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

I still really need help with this.

#3 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Your problem description is confusing because of these two mutually exclusive points you make:

I'd like to find a software fix to basically switch around the sound of the headset. So left sounds into the right and vice versa.

Just simply switching the current 2 directions around so when people are on the left I hear them on the left! and if they are on the right to hear them on the right.

Normal stereo sends left-hand sounds to the left ear and right-hand sounds to the right ear. If you get that effect from wearing your headphones backwards, then something is wrong with the way your audio jacks are wired.

Possible workarounds:
On my system, my headphones plug into my left speaker. My right speaker is also wired to the left speaker. My left speaker has 2 seperate RCA jacks for each channel. The speaker connector wire has 2 RCA plugs on one end and a standard minijack on the other which plugs into my computer's sound port. If I switch the RCA plugs at the speaker, the sound in my headphones will also switch sides. Bottom line, if you have a similar setup, then just switch the RCA jacks around.

A more drastic "fix" would be to customize your headphones, but this would require soldering skills. In this case, you would disassemble your headphones and desolder the existing connections and resolder them "backwards". I can't tell you how to do that because different headphones are wired differently. You may be able to get to the jack connector (or just cut the end off and buy a new connector from radio shack or some such place), or you may have to figure out the wiring scheme in the earpieces.

#4 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the computer or headphones. In my game I've always worn the headphones the wrong way around (wire/microphone on the right). As a result I can only distinguish where people are when wearing them the wrong way around.

Problem: I need the microphone to be on the left side to use it. So I would like to use a software fix if thats possible to simply switch the sounds around. If done correctly i can wear the headphones the normal way but the sound will be as though I'm wearing them the wrong way around. Is that at all possible?

I tried using http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html That program in the past but didn't have much luck.

Concerning your work around idea. I have no idea what RCA jacks are. I have 2 speakers which aren't plugged in. I just have my headset plugged into the front of my computer (it has 2 wires, one for microphone and one for sound in the headset).

My speakers, I have one on the left side with two holes. One has a music symbol underneath and the other earphones. So I don't think my microphone wire would work in either of those, would it? Oh and for the speakers to work, I just plug one little green wire in the back of the computer.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

When you used the "Swap Channels" function of the Stereo Tools program did you notice any difference?

If you can correctly position right and left while wearing the headphones backwards it really does sound like the wires are reversed in either the phones or the computer.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

One more thing occurred to me after I posted. Please don't be offended -- I'm just trying to eliminate any possibility.

Are the earpieces of the headphones marked Left and Right? Is the microphone secured in place by a set-screw or nut? The reason I ask is to eliminate the possibility that the microphone was loosened, swung to the back, and then re-tightened (if this model of headset permits). In this case you'd wind up with proper positioning via the stereo channels and the microphone would be in the rear.

That's the only other alternative I can think of.

EDIT: Sorry. You're post #4 seems to eliminate this possibility.

Edited by Capn Easy, 30 November 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#7 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

One more thing occurred to me after I posted. Please don't be offended -- I'm just trying to eliminate any possibility.

Are the earpieces of the headphones marked Left and Right? Is the microphone secured in place by a set-screw or nut? The reason I ask is to eliminate the possibility that the microphone was loosened, swung to the back, and then re-tightened (if this model of headset permits). In this case you'd wind up with proper positioning via the stereo channels and the microphone would be in the rear.

That's the only other alternative I can think of.

EDIT: Sorry. You're post #4 seems to eliminate this possibility.

Yes since I've used a number of headsets. I always used them backwards. The headphones are marked with 'L' and 'R'. I wear L on the right ear and R on the left ear. My Dad who also uses the same headphones wears them the correct way and has always found that fine. It's just my problem.

When you used the "Swap Channels" function of the Stereo Tools program did you notice any difference?

If you can correctly position right and left while wearing the headphones backwards it really does sound like the wires are reversed in either the phones or the computer.

I do believe a program like this is a way to fix the issue and came to this forum hoping someone might know. In the past I tried the program then it says ''The Stereo Tools Plug-in for Steinberg Nuendo and Cubase and other VST applications (Premiere Pro) '' so I tried getting one of those programs to use it but it was all very complicated and I kept running into deadends.

#8 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Concerning your work around idea. I have no idea what RCA jacks are.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1137&bih=777&q=rca+jacks&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Now you know. :)

#9 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

I still really need help with this.

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

Your options are very limited.

Even if reversing the channels in software worked, it might introduce a delay in the system -- likely to be a bad thing for a gamer.

This leaves the hardware approach, suggested by emfederin. You're going to need a stereo breakout adapter for your headphone connection -- a stereo mini jack (3.5 mm) that sends the right channel to one RCA plug (usually Red, for Right) and the left channel to another RCA plug (usually white). You will then need an RCA to stereo mini plug adapter, with a red female RCA jack for the right channel and a white female RCA jack for the left channel, terminating in a standard mini stereo plug, like the one you're currently using. You will then need to plug your headphone jack into the breakout adapter, plug the red RCA plug into the white RCA jack and vice-versa, to "reverse" the left and right channels, and plug this into your headphone jack on the computer/sound card. Your situation is unique, so I'm not aware of any "off the shelf" solution.

Again, your problem is unique. This "solution" will only work if I've properly understood it. Fortunately, it should be pretty cheap to try.

Edited by Capn Easy, 09 December 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#11 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

I didn't properly understand it. I was sure my problem wasn't that unique and is something plenty of people have had trouble with. Are you positive there is no other way?

What sort of place would fix the headphones for me? Im in England.

#12 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

If I understand correctly, and you want to hear the left audio channel through the right earpiece and the right audio channel through the left earpiece, and you can't put the headphones on backwards (or remove and switch the earpieces), that's the only way I know to do it.

I wouldn't touch the headphones. The parts you need to make the adapter should be available at any audio store or electronics shop. They are also available online at Amazon.co.uk.

BUT, since you sound new to this, it would probably be a good idea to go to a store in person, explain what you need, and check the items at the store before you leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users