Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mildly strange startup behaviour

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

When i start my computer, somewhere between logging in and finishing with loading all startup entries, it is as if all read/write commands are paused, for up to a minute. It doesnt seem to appear at a specific point in time, as sometimes even AVG has finished starting, whilst other times the start button has not even appeared yet.

What happens is that the hdd goes dead silent. If all the icons has appeared on the desktop i can manoeuvre around, lagg-lessly, but i can not start an application or even open a folder.

It is annoying, since it adds a minute to my boot-up time, but i dont even know what to google.

Aid appreciated :)
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

What you describe...if I'm interpreting correctly...is the norm.

I've never known XP to permit user activity until all startups have loaded, including the firewall.

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2010 - 02:04 PM.

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

Windows XP sp3
HP Pavilion 061 ED741AA-B1U t3166.

And it happens between logging in (when windows is finished starting) and everything done. It doesnt just prevent me from starting stuff, it pauses the loading of startup applications as well. The few times it doesnt happen the comp starts alot quicker. Also, it has not always behaved like this.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Well...it could be anything...without an error message or something reflecting a problem other than your observations, it's somewhat dangerous (IMO) to guess.

If it only occurs on boot...I would guess hard drive or PSU...but those are just guesses, not suggestions.

You might review your Event Viewer logs for possible clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#5 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Apparently, something called EvntAgnt could not find some reg values. Following the fix suggestion here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832790 i added the values and the errors doesnt show. I rebooted and it did not happen, though i think i need a few more reboots before i am convinced. However, so far it seems fixed.

Thank you (and facepalm to me for not checking the obvious event log)!
---My computer---

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

Let us know if it reappears :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users