Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirects in Google just one symptom

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 quetzal101

quetzal101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

I am new to this forum and although I saw other "Google redirect" topics, my problem has other symptoms that go along - they could be unrelated, I'm not sure. I have Windows XP Pro and had previously installed McAfee Total Protection 2011. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that anytime a google search is done and the link clicked, it shows "redirect" and "Jump" while bringing up the link and then takes me to a completely different site, unrelated to what I was searching for. In researching this, some websites stated to disengage or uninstall McAfee first before scanning for malware, but it will not allow me to uninstall it. Anytime I either try to bring it up or uninstall McAfee, I get a window stating "Navigation to this website was cancelled"...as if I was trying to go online. I've had terrible luck in the past with fake AV software and I'm not sure what to trust to do the job. Also, systems seem to be stopping. My internet access stopped as well as sound. Investigated that online and found that going into services.msc showed almost everything was disabled. I had to change a bunch of things to 'automatic' and 'restart' them to get them working again. I fixed the internet and sound problems with that. Right now I also see that all the McAfee listing shows disabled - maybe this is the reason I can't bring it up?

These problems seem to be compiling so I am desperate for help. We've had so many virus issues on this PC that I'm very close to just going out to buy a new one!

Edited by quetzal101, 15 November 2010 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users