Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friggin Accoona!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stez-O

Stez-O

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:56 PM

Ok, im a new member and came across this forum by browsing how to get rid of accoona on google.com

Ok, Heres the story: The other day i brought a new pc game and started to play it - it kept fezzing so i decided to do a clean boot to hopefully speed it up and get rid of some of the junk on my pc. When i restarted my pc - I found my internet connection was no more, after some minor tweaking i managed to get it conected and was well on my way to surfing the internet again... but i was wrong.

I loaded up my web browser and tried to open up a simple webpage only to see the bar at the bottom of the browser repeat something like "www.accoona.com/search..." something. it just keeps flashing and making a clicking noise as if its a loading a new page. ive tried running my norton anti virus but everytime i click it it doesnt load it up...

ive checked the system remove/add files and i couldnt see it anywhere in there, The only reason ive actually been able to acess the internet on a web browser is through my brothers computer as accoona seems to have mine by the throat. any suggestions or help would be great!

New member,
Stez-O.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stez-O

Stez-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:38 AM

anyone with any help at all would be really really helpful.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hello Stez-O and welcome to BC.

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode to unquarantine the malware from MSAS or to do a System Restore?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Assuning you can get a full boot, your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This Log for our team to review. See Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log for instructions.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Stez-O

Stez-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

hmm, ive done some of the suggestions:

did a clean boot, tried to get of some more junk off my pc but thats about it. I have no idea what this hijack hacking thing is about. i did read the post about how to make a post or something, told me to run a virus check on my pc, as i mentioned in my original thread - I cant use my web broswer or open my norton anti virus checker to scan my computer.

I did try to run it in safe mode but didnt work. This accoona or whatever it is has really screwed me over, never even downloaded it or anything...

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:14 AM

Your going to have to download all the files you need on your brothers computer and copy them across to your own if you can't get internet access on it.
You want AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, Ewido Security Suite, AVG Free and HJT to start.
You can find the links to all of these here Recommended Freeware

AdAware manual update - Go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

In the menu column on the left click on 'DOWNLOADS'.
On the Download page beside 'Updates' click the link under 'Latest Definition Files:'
Save the defs.zip file to your PC. Unpack the zip file to find the defs.ref file and put it on your desktop or in a folder which you can find easily.
On the PC you wish to update use Windows Explorer to navigate to the C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal folder.
Rename the defs.ref file there to defs.old, then copy the new defs.ref file into this folder.
Close Windows Explorer, start Ad-AwareSE and check the date of the definitions file. Ad-Aware should be up to date and ready to scan.

Spybot S&D manual update Go to http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

In the menu column on the left under Home click on 'Download'.
On the Download page beneath 'Download' click the link called 'Detection Updates <date>'
Save the spybotsd_includes.exe file to your PC. Put it on your desktop or in a folder which you can find easily and then copy it to a floppy or USB Flash disk to transfer it to the PC to be updated.
On the PC to be updated copy spybotsd_includes.exe to a folder on the C: drive then double click it. It will find the installed version of Spybot S&D and automatically update it.

Ewido manual update link: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Signatures from the last 2-3 days ~200KB download. Full signature database ~4.5MB download.

AVG Manual Update site: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

Priority updates - These are virus definition updates. 2 files listed *.bin format

Recommended updates - These are program bug fixes. 2 files listed *.bin format

Optional updates - low priority presentation changes.

How to update:
Copy the .bin file to a folder or your desktop. Start AVG Control Centre. Click Update, at the bottom of the dialog window are the buttons 'Internet' and 'Folder'. Click 'Folder', a directory tree will open asking you to point to the folder where you put the .bin file. Once you click the correct folder AVG will find it and update itself.
If you do not have the option to choose the update source because the 'do not ask this question again' box had been ticked, you can reset this in the Control Centre by clicking 'View'>'Components'>'Update Manager. In the Update Manager in the 'Properties' tab untick the 'Do not ask for the update source' box.

When everything is installed and updated restart the PC in Safe Mode and run all the scans there.
This may be able to clean you up enough to get online and submit an HJT log in the normal manner.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Stez-O

Stez-O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

when you say "save them to your pc" - do you mean to download them on my brothers comp then transfer them onto mine. if so, how do i do this

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Make a new folder on your brother's PC to download security stuff to - then when your machine is cleaned up you can delete the folder so his PC is back the way it was. None of the anti-spyware stuff is very large so it won't take up much space in his hard drive.

Copy the files from that folder onto a USB flash drive or burn a CD or some of them can be transferred by floppies. The simplest way would be to use a flash drive (aka thumb drive/disk) - they're not expensive.

Copy the files onto your own PC and install the programs or updates there.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users