Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan deletes Network IP Address

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jp46

Jp46

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

I have an “IBM clone”.
Windows XP Operating system. Internet Explorer version 8.
Comcast Cable Broadband Cable connection.
I picked up one of the Trojan viruses. Most issues were resolved with the following actions.
Ran Malware Bytes from a “safe startup” login, “SpyBot”, and “Hijack This”.
Removed a Trojan “Fake Alert” with Malware Bytes.
Removed a BHO and an unrecognized file with Hijack This.
Removed a single file found by Spybot.

I spent an hour on line with Comcast service. Reactivated and reconfigured the modem and Comcast reports a strong signal indicating a good connection.

Ran ipconfig from the command menu the response was an ip address of 0.0.0.0
Ran ip config/release
Ran ip config/renew
Ran ip config address was still 0.0.0.0

Checked “Network Connections” through the Windows Control Panel, left side of screen provided a menu but there is nothing on the right side of the screen except “white” space, no network is detected.

Ran "Establish New Network Wizard" resulted in a failure. No Broadband connection was established, and yes I did this twice with the Comcast service agent on the phone so I am positive the selections for the wizard were correct.

I can update direct applications such as downloading new Spybot definitions but when I try to activate the IE Connection, or any of the “Favorites” the connection fails and I receive the IE Cannot Connect to The Internet error message.

I need to reestablish the network connectivity.

I am mildly computer literate, I can and have run the regedit command but I have not had the courage to modify any of the registry files. Is there a precise location the registry file has been altered or can be “viewed” or alternately is there a program I can download into a thumb drive and then activate on my computer. Unfortunately, I have to perform this download from my work or a public computer, since obviously cannot do it from home.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2010 - 12:24 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users