Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 bit program on 64bit O/S

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zg1286

zg1286

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

I am setting up a laptop to interface with our trucks for maintainence and diagnostics. All of the sofware we had to buy was set up for Win 7 64 bit. The program I need to install comes from the OE manufactuer and is set up for WIN7 32 bit and will not install on Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. The tech at the help desk said they set it up for 32 bit so they would not hace to rewrite software. Thanks for telling me now. He said we may be able to run it in XP mode. My question is is there away to install this software? Do I need to upgrade our Win7 to pro or higher to run it in XP mode?
Any help will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

It should install on Windows 64bit. I have a lot of 32bit Applications that are installed on and working under Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

There should be a folder called Program Files(x86) where 32bit applications get installed. If your other 32 bit applications work, then their is an issue with the application that you are trying to install, and you should stop supporting a company that doesn't know how to write applications.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode.
However, as Cryptodan has already said, most of the 32-bit programs can run quite well in Windows 7 64-bit editions.
There are some exceptions though. 32-bit programs which require ring-0 level access, programs which need 32-bit device drivers (like printer software), programs which hook other system applications will not run in 64-bit Windows.

Edited by Romeo29, 15 November 2010 - 10:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users