Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice for new desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ultimatednc

ultimatednc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Since black friday is coming up, i hope to buy a pretty good computer, my budget is pretty tight.
here's the layout i copied from the sticky:

My budget for the new computer is:
$500-900 (not much, i know)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
web browsing, videos, and games

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
OS wise? i would prefer windows xp, i hear all the other windows take up too much CPU

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
yeah, stuff like maplestory, warcraft 3, perfect world sometimes

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
i usually close what i dont use, but i do sometimes have simultaneous programs running

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
yes.

haha pretty blunt, but that's pretty much what i'm looking for. i'm not against building computers if it's cheaper that way, because i'm on a pretty tight budget. however, seeing as the black friday sale is coming up, i'm not sure if i can get some cheaper parts/desktops,so i come to you community for advice.
just a heads up, i'm pretty noob with all the spec talk, but i'm willing to learn!
thanks everyone, hope we can help each other out!
(but probably just you guys help me, haha)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

The problem with black friday sales is they normally only put low to mid range computers on sale, and theres no choice-you gotta rush in there, no time to have second thoughts, grab, and run. Sometimes you end up with a good deal sometimes not. If you go that route, find what computers your store is going to sell ahead of time (they normally post the adds) and post them up here and we can give u a idea if theyre a good deal or not-I tend to prefer HP desktops for the most part. As far as performance, I can go into details, but typically in computers the higher the number, in any thing, the better performing computer. If you want to build one, you can put together a decent dual-triple core, or maybe even a quad core desktop for less then 900-granted it wont be high end state of the art but should do what you need it to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

Agreed :).

I also have a suspicion that these sorts of sales...merely rid the retailer of items which are no longer desireable in inventory because of present/coming changes.

I'd say that...you probably wind up with a better bargain if you put it together yourself. OTOH...the comfort associated with vendors like Dell, HP, etc...is something that many consumers want.

One note that I would make...why would you elect an O/S that has been replaced...if you intend to run future games on this system? I don't game, so I have no clue as to what might be best...but it seems to me that any games made after today will probably be geared to have Win 7 as the O/S if they are Windows games.

Louis

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

Ham does bring up a good point-if you want to game, having a directX 11 OS is the way to go, and on top of that XP is hard to find-if you build your own you can buy a copy of it (its still sold) but finding a ready made computer with XP is tough, unless your talking those little 8 inch netPCs, theyre virtually impossible to find in a store, and rare online. XP is still a good OS but its not a gaming OS and has been largely replaced.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

I too would opt for a 'barebones' kit and assemble it myself. A very good quality kit with excellent potential for upgrading is now available from a reputable warehouse distributer located in the USA. The price is good, $599 includes case, CPU (core i7 950), motherboard, and PSU. This leaves you with several hundred dollars for RAM and a decent upper mid-range (HD 5770) video board. The kit may even include RAM, but I'm not certain. This package deal has my attention and I'm very tempted. I want it so bad I can taste it! lol
And... Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium OEM version is now down to $94.99, shipping included.

Check this out!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.540792
P.S. I hope this isn't considered SPAM.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 15 November 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Ham does bring up a good point-if you want to game, having a directX 11 OS is the way to go, and on top of that XP is hard to find-if you build your own you can buy a copy of it (its still sold) but finding a ready made computer with XP is tough, unless your talking those little 8 inch netPCs, theyre virtually impossible to find in a store, and rare online. XP is still a good OS but its not a gaming OS and has been largely replaced.

Besides that, look what XP did to the Matrix!

Edited by Zuhl3156, 16 November 2010 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users