Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old update files? Delete?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tacks

tacks

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

My old Hewlett-Packard Pavilion computer has a lot old update files -- application files -- in the 'my downloads' folder. The were downloaded from Hewlett-Packard, not from microsoft.

Is it now safe for me to delete these update files? I would think that i could delete them after the updates have 'been installed.' But i am not sure.

Can anyone advise? Thanks

(BTW, i have searched the forums but didn't find this question being addressed directly.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Newbie here,
I would think so, tehse are files you downloaded from HP to update some programs?
So since you have already run them, it should be okay to delete them. They should also be available on teh web. Now you are clearing out the intsaller package, not the uninstalling them?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

Well...if I had an HP system...I would keep them, along with all drivers and programs installed...for the day when I would not be able to boot into XP and would have to either use recovery/restore disks or do a clean install.

Louis

EDIT: One cannot assume that what may be available at the OEM website today...will be available tomorrow as they seem to no longer bother with support for much more than today's products.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#4 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

Ah, that would be painful, I use the drivers regularly for Compaq d510s at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users