Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death (photo of error included)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luizgot

luizgot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hello everyone,

Here is the situation.

My uncle's PC caught a virus. He had Windows XP installed, and it worked good before the infection. Suddenly he can't load the PC anymore, it just goes to the Blue Screen. Eve if I chose Safe Mode, it would shows the BSOD or restart.

I had formatted the PC, and reinstalled Win XP. First try, same problem - BSOD.

I had re-formatted and re-installed XP at least 5 times, but the problem doesn't go away.

I had went to the debugging screen and done chkdsk /f, and all other options available (like fixing the boot sector, the master boot, etc), and still get the error.

I am starting to think that this could be a hardware issue, but since the computer was working well before the infection, I'm kind of dumbfounded as to how a virus could mess with the hardware.

Here's the pic I took of the BSOD:

Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please help!

Edited by luizgot, 15 November 2010 - 07:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hi Luiz, is this a Dell machine? Here's what I read on a different forum about it:

...had that same problem. I suspect Dell gave the wrong Windows recovery disk to a bunch of XPS 600 owners. My XPS is almost 2 years old the very first time I tried to reformat it I got that error. I am no expert maybe there is another way to solve it but please do try to contact dell for the correct DISK. Now please note they sent me 3 Windows reinstalltion disks before I got the correct one. After that reinstalling windows XP worked just fine...

This is a possibility!

Another thing I am inclined to believe is that your BIOS settings might have changed.
You can try getting the BIOS back to defaults, and restart the machine, see if it works!
If not, you can also try booting into the BIOS and look for SATA operations, and switch setting to ATA, save and try again.

Ensure to make a note of all your BIOS settings, you might want to take pictures of these as you did with the BSOD, it's quick and simple.

Let me know how it went, there are other ways to approach this issue.

Regards
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Moved from Am I Infected to XP.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

What version of XP are you installing?

XP - No SATA Support

XP SP1 - Start of SATA Support

XP SP2 - SATA Support

XP SP3 - Shouldnt have any issues.

#5 luizgot

luizgot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Sorry for long delay.

I have fixed the problem.

But...first I'll explain what I did.

I tried to change the BIOS settings to ATA from SATA:
Posted Image

When restarting after changing to ATA, I saw it was taking a little longer to boot and showed some lines I hadn't seen before, so I paused and see this:

Posted Image

You can see it says "Drive: fail Return code 7"....so it IS a failed/corrupted hard drive.

So this didn't fix it and now I knew it was a failed hard drive.

So then I decided to format the hard disk again. But this time I partitioned the hard drive into a 10 GB partition, and the rest (475gb) I left unformatted.

This fixed it. Obviously the 10gb I formatted didn't have a corrupted/failed sector in it, so Win loaded properly.

I then formatted the rest of the hard drive into two partitions, so I have three partitions in all now.

I still need your help. How do I scan and fix the corrupted parts of the hard drive that is in the other two partitions? Obviously it's still there.

Edited by luizgot, 18 November 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

Replace the drive all together.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

How do I scan and fix the corrupted parts of the hard drive that is in the other two partitions?

Replacing the troublesome HDD with a new one is the preferred option.

However, since you asked the question .... there are a couple of suggestions I could make that may enable you to "work around" the issue.

Not my prefered method, but in your current situation ...
Try this ...
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.[list]
[*]Open "My Computer"
[*]Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
[*]Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
[*]Allow the scan to run un-interrupted, until finished.
[*]If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.

Edit: Note that checking C drive/your system drive, is a little different, in that you must schedule to restart your computer and allow it to run the error check upon restart.
-------------------------------------------------------

My preferred method of attempting to salvage the HDD ...

Seeing the "failed HDD" error message, I would immediately download the appropriate diagnostic utility and run that. Your HDD is manufactured by Western Digital, so go to their website and download their diagnostic tool, which will provide you with an .ISO image file, which you can burn to CD (using ImgBurn, if you don't have a suitable burning program ... choose to "Write image to disk"). That will give you a bootable CD. Boot the system with the CD and run the short test: If that passes, run the long/extended test. If the test fails, I strongly recommend that you replace the HDD with a new one.

If it passed the above diagnostic test, well and good: I would proceed with the next step.

Download dban and burn the .ISO image to CD as above. Boot with the CD and run dban to wipe the HDD. If that is successful, there is hope for the HDD. Then proceed with a partition/full format/install of XP all over again.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 November 2010 - 11:44 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 luizgot

luizgot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

thanks for advice Alien!!!
great avatar btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic