Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

powerpoint Intranet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi

I have built a very simple Intranet using Powerpoint, so when l am not around other staff can update the intranet.
I have a row of links to other websites that I want to be able to open in a new browser window (new tab). Is there a way l can do this??

many thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

I ma not sure what you mean by "I built an Intranet using Powerpoint". An Intranet is an internal private network; Powerpoint is an application for creating and displaying presentations. I am not trying to pick on you, I am just trying to understand what you mean. Do you mean that you have an internal network that is used to distribute a Powerpoint presentation? Ans I guess I don't understand what opening a link in a new browser window has to do with Poerwpoint. Here is my guess. You have a Powerpoint presentation that has embedded links. When someone clicks on a link, it opens in a browser window. If they click another link, it opens in the same browser window. You don't want that to happen. Am I close?

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi

Thanks for your response.

We have a main server that has a shared drive accessed by about 16 terminals.
The shared drive is used to save documents and is backed up daily. So many documents have been saved oin there over the years it was difficult to find what you wanted. because of this and new staff not able to even find the shared drive l created a number of pp slides and linked them together i.e homepage, diary, folder A, folder b, etc.....

I then placed a shortcut on each terminal to the "homepage". I saved all of the slides as web pages.

Also on the homepage i put hyperlinks to commonly used websites, it is these l want to open in new windows or tabs so when they are closed the homepage is still open.

I have opened the slides in Notepad and changed target="_parent" entries to blank which seems to work, but as soon as l open the slide in powerpoint to make any amendments, the changes reverse. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

As far as I know, the mechanisms behind Powerpoint do not allow attributes to be assigned to URLS. That is an HTML characteristic, ie, target is an attribute belonging to HTML. The only way I can think of accomplishing what you want is to actually set each browser to open each link in a separate tab as their default behavior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users