Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Determining New PSU Replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

I have a motherboard from Intel whose power supply went bad - the machine won't turn on. No fans, no nothing. I'm going to pick up a new PSU tomorrow, and wanted to make 100% I get an appropriate one.

Motherboard model: D946GZIS
Original PDF Documentation
Spec Update PDF Documentation

The model PSU I had was a Sparkle Power ATX-300PN. I've searched for documentation, but found several models in google. None of which quite match the one I have. I may be looking in the wrong places, though.

It has P1 connectior with a 4-spot labeled "24," and an extra P4 with only yellow and black cables. One string contains 2 drive power adapters and a floppy power adapter at the end. Another string has a single drive power adapter on the end. One string with 2 drive power adapters on it. There is a final strand with two SATA power adapters on it.

Can someone point me to the kind of power supply I need to install for this board? It will be doing gaming (Sims 3, specifically) and general word processing and multimedia internet surfing. It's 5 7/8" (14.9225 cm) across the back, and was in a standard ATX case (if I haven't gotten my form factors mixed up). Most off the shelf PSUs should fit, no?

My problem has been in understanding how much power I can get in a PSU and not put too much through the board. Or putting too little into it. I've glanced through the documentation a number of times, and just keep reading important information about the +5 line into the board, but no specific power requirements for it. (Unless I've totally passed it every time, which is possible.) As far as components that will be demanding power, it has 2 SATA hard drives, 1 DVD-RW drive, and an e-GeForce 8600 GT graphics card. I'll probably be upgrading the RAM from 1 to 4 gigs (I know XP can only recognize 3 and change, but it looks like it might be better to buy a pair and max it out than buying a single 1g stick to bring it to a 2gb system total).

That shouldn't be a (comparatively) large power-draw, right? Or am I looking at ordering something special to handle those components?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Most off the shelf PSUs should fit

I am no expert on the subject; just a user, but what you said just about covers it.

Forget the penny-pinching when buying a PSU and stick with quality. I have been very impressed with the Corsair VX450, and have been buying them exclusively (for any 'puter that needed a PSU) in the last few years. My needs are basic like yours, and there is scope for adding more devices without suffering from a lack of power (or cables and connectors).

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 November 2010 - 11:39 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:39 AM

A larger PSU doesn't equate to more voltage, only more wattage and current. The rail voltages are regulated, if the PSU is working properly there should only be a variance of +/- 5%.

Graphic cards, especially those being used by serious gamers, will have the largest draw of any of your components. For this reason you should check to see what the manufacturer's web site suggests for wattage in the system requirements section. In your case, the graphics card requires a minimum of 350W.

Efficiency is one specification that you should look at. Example: A PSU with an efficiency rating of 80% pulling 500W from the line voltage of your house will only produce 400W. A good PSU will have an efficiency rating of 80%.

Edited by dc3, 15 November 2010 - 12:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

Check also this nice PSU power calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. List your computer's components and the calc will show you how many watts your PSU must provide. Next try picking a good quality ATX PSU like corsair and you will be fine :thumbup2: . Good luck!
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users