Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is data NOT in All Users folder safe during an XP Home reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Not Einstein

Not Einstein

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Greetings,

I'm getting the BSOD
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

after accepting MS Win updates. I can't boot in any safe mode option, and since the OS is OEM installed, I understand I can't use Recovery Console, so I believe my only remaining option is a reinstall of XP home.

Per MS support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/

You may lose data that is stored in the All Users folder and you may lose default program templates and settings that are stored in the Default User folder after you reinstall, repair, or upgrade Windows XP. Also, Start menu shortcuts, items in the Startup group, and documents, pictures, or music files that are stored in the Shared Documents folder may be missing.

My question is whether any data NOT on the All Users or Default User folder (i.e. on C drive or in a subfolder of C) will be safe from a reinstallation from the XP CD.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

On any OEM system...you are dealing with reoovery/restore partitions/disks/processes.

No rules applicable to an XP install...which were written/documented by Microsoft (for users with MS install CDs)...should be interpreted to to work with an OEM system.

The system manufacturer determines what system repair/reinstall options are available...and how they work.

I would expect the details regarding such...if available...to be in the user's manual and/or posted at the OEM website.

As for using an XP CD to reinstall on an OEM system...I would take the warning from Microsoft at face value. Seems pretty clearcut to me.

Louis

#3 Not Einstein

Not Einstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Louis for your detailed response.

I will review what doc (if any) DELL has on this. If I'm uncertain that the data will still be there after the reinstall, I will most likely buy an enclosure and find another PC with enough space to back-up the data.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

You are welcome, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users