Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thom c.

thom c.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hello,

I struggled with figuring out where I should post this, but hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

I run Windows 7 home premium on a Dell Inspiron 640m. I bought Windows 7 with the student discount last fall, but since then my e-mail account has been cleared so I have no access to my key code.

My computer has been recently infected by Backdoor: Win32/Cybot.B, and I have had no luck removing it. Judging by advice given to another user on this website, the most secure option for me is to reformat my drive completely. The problem is, I have no backup disk or anything. I was thinking about contacting Windows to see if I could get another installation code e-mailed to me, but I'm not sure this is an option. Does anyone know where I can go from here? I work as an AmeriCorps volunteer, so I don't have the money to spend on another operating system, but I am not opposed to using a third party OS (such as Linux), though I would ideally like to run iTunes. Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

There are programs you can run which will give you the Windows key.

The first one that pops into my mind is Belarc

http://belarc.com/

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder was created for the sole purpose of retrieving product keys from activated Microsoft products (Windows, Office, etc.). :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

SIW is another.

Something that should be pointed out is that there are a lot of download that include other applications, so you need to watch for this when you are installing a download. It was pointed out to me that SIW is including another programs in it's download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Speccy is also another program that get the Windows Key: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download just look under Operating system on the left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users