Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 not genuine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sobernva

sobernva

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

HI,a few months ago I bought a used computer from a dealer.it came with installs of WindowsXp and Office2003. All was well for awhile but now suddenly I started getting messages stating that the office2003 is not genuine and it failed the test.Along with that they told me how to aquire a genuine copy of it. i dont undeestand why this is.If the guy who installed it is paying Microsoft for each time he installs it on a computer,why are they saying all of a sudden that its not genuine.
one thing that has changed is that I bought a used laptop with open office installed and i have been sending files from there to the computer with office on it,and vice versa.could this be why?
I went ahead and uninstalled office and installed open office,because i am not paying Microsoft for something that i already paid the guy who installed the software
thanks in advance for your replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

The guy who you got the computer from could possibly be into nefarious things. Did you actually get the software and COA for Office 2003?

#3 sobernva

sobernva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

The guy who you got the computer from could possibly be into nefarious things. Did you actually get the software and COA for Office 2003?

No,I didnt get any software. He installs it on all the computers he sells. I imagine he has some sort of volume license that allows him to do this? He also installs WindowsXP professional SP 1,and AVG Free on the computers.Im not sure what a COA is.

Is Open office as good as Microsoft Office? I like that it is open source and free.

#4 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

A Certificate Of Authenticity(COA) should come with any liscensed software that you but Usualy found as a sticker with the product key used to validate the install on the computer. Sounds like he may be installing the a pirated copy, and after the windows genuine update those alerts started popping because MS realized it was an invalid copy. I'm an avid Open Office user, and for word processing it works wonders(opens many dif types of docs,etc) Hard to tell if it would be right for you, but its free so i'd say give it a try and decide for yourself. Take A look at the diferent variants too, as some of those may be better suited to your needs.
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

No,I didnt get any software. He installs it on all the computers he sells. I imagine he has some sort of volume license that allows him to do this? He also installs WindowsXP professional SP 1,and AVG Free on the computers.Im not sure what a COA is.

Is Open office as good as Microsoft Office? I like that it is open source and free.

Well if you didnt get a COA then the likelihood of it being pirated is greatly increased. You are supposed to receive all installation media used on the PC along with any keys.

OpenOffice can mess up formatting in Word Documents, as i learned due to me losing 2 job interviews.

#6 sobernva

sobernva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

A Certificate Of Authenticity(COA) should come with any liscensed software that you but Usualy found as a sticker with the product key used to validate the install on the computer. Sounds like he may be installing the a pirated copy, and after the windows genuine update those alerts started popping because MS realized it was an invalid copy. I'm an avid Open Office user, and for word processing it works wonders(opens many dif types of docs,etc) Hard to tell if it would be right for you, but its free so i'd say give it a try and decide for yourself. Take A look at the diferent variants too, as some of those may be better suited to your needs.

Oh dear! I hope the same thing doesnt happen to my WinXP.He sells uses computers and laptops with XP,office,AVG and Adobe reader installed. Never had a problem before..
I think Open Office will work nicely for me on the desktop. It came installed on the used laptop I bought from Goodwill and does fine. I dont have lots of crucial stuff involving an office suite.

#7 sobernva

sobernva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Well if you didnt get a COA then the likelihood of it being pirated is greatly increased. You are supposed to receive all installation media used on the PC along with any keys.

OpenOffice can mess up formatting in Word Documents, as i learned due to me losing 2 job interviews.
[/quote]

I had no idea I was supposed to get a COA on a used computer from an outlet.I figurred he has a licence to install copies on each computer and just pays Microsoft for each install which he then passes along to whoever buys the computer.
Should I buy a store copy of an OS? I wouldnt mind upgrading to 7 if my computers will work for it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Run this program: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer passes. If you didn't get a COA for your OS then it too could be pirated. I would recommend buy legit copies of each.

#9 sobernva

sobernva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

Run this program: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer passes. If you didn't get a COA for your OS then it too could be pirated. I would recommend buy legit copies of each.

I ran the program on both the laptop and the desktop. there are enough things I would have to do in order for 7 to work that it isnt worth the bother. guess I will look for copies of XP on Ebay or something. what should I look for to make sure im not getting a pirated copy. I know a COA but what else/

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to me

Edited by sobernva, 15 November 2010 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users