Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quake 1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nicole Alzamora

Nicole Alzamora

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Hello, I'm trying to install QUAKE1 onto my windows 7 laptop, Dell, all up-to-date, no virus, or spyware to interfere, And I pop in the Quake Disc, and I click install and this pops up all the time

Message I get while trying to run Quake.

The program or feature "\??\E:\DEICE.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit windows compatible version is available.

I tried the Windows Resulotion to try to make it 32bit but that did not do no good, and i went under to set the game for compatibile to Windows 95/98 and still no changes is there anything i can do to get this classic game running? Thanks, And my nephew he has windows xp and we install it on there but he just gets a black screen with the noise but no graphics, So Hopefully I can get it running on mind.... Thanks....

Nicole.... .
(I tried dosbox and I just don't know how to work it, XD and I don't want to mess nothing up, is there any other ways to get quake working?

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

On the install disk you would find two files resource.1 and resource.dat. Copy resource.1 over to a folder say C:\Quake. Then rename it from resource.1 to resource.LZH. Now you can open this renamed file using a tool like 7-Zip or WinRAR. Extract all the files to the folder C:\Quake. You would find Quake.exe extracted from this LZH file. Double click on Quake.exe to play the game.

If you cannot play Quake.exe due to incompatibility, then you can use DirectQ. Just drop DirectQ in the same folder as Quake.exe and run DirectQ.exe. For more information visit this page.

EDIT:
Just googled this site : http://quakeone.com/
You would find much useful information there related to playing Quake 1 on Windows 7.

Edited by Romeo29, 15 November 2010 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users