Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Locking Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jw2960

jw2960

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:02 PM

first off, thanks ahead of time and i dont know if this post is in the correct forum.
Windows ME
512 RAM
processor is a P3, i am trying to get you the mghz but it keeps locking up. let me know if you really need the exact number.

in reality, there is 12.6 GB of space on C:. At least that is what 'My Computer' says.

The cause of locking up has been mysterious in that it first seemed to be the currently installed norton program(internet security), then a kodak picture sharing program. My thoughs are that it is niether of these but I have deleted both. Once I deleted both I was going to install norton systemworks and try to use its utilities to fix whats wrong. this is when i discovered that norton system works reads that there is no space on C:. I know that that is wrong because I had deleted some files and tried to reinstall. i still get the same response.

More on the computer locking up. There is no set time frame in which it locks up but generally is within the first five minutes of running. somehow it was running for a few hours yesterday but i had done nothing different and it did eventually lock up.

My dad, its his computer, says he had some problems with the power supply. The computer would not boot up and said that the fan is not at spped, or over temp, or fan error. Sorry, the exact response cannot be remembered. he cleaned the fan and got all the dust out. That problem seems to have dissappeared but i figured you should know.

I really don't know where to go from here. My dad may just buy a new computer. this one is quite old.

If anyone has any idea of whats going on or how to fix, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
john

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:34 PM

When he cleaned the PS did he remove the cover from the computer or just clean it from the outside. You may have a dirty CPU fan/heat sink. The case fan should also be looked at. As a matter of fact blow out the entire case.
DO NOT use an air compressor. Use the "Air in a can" from Walmart , Radio Shack, or a computer store. An air compressor's air has mositure in it. It is like spraying your computer with a garden hose. Just thought I would menition it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:22 AM

If you're able to find some sort of error mesage (I don't know anything about ME) - here's a resource for troubleshooting them: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315854
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

I don't recommend you use either Norton Internet Security or Norton Systemworks with WinME. They just don't seem to play well together in my experience. When you said you "deleted" them I hope you mean you uninstalled them? Forget about Nortons and install AVG Free and a compatible firewall. See the BC compendium of recommended Freeware:
Recommended Freeware

Random lock ups can be due to all sorts of things - overheating, viruses/spyware, corrupted files or faulty hardware. It could take some perseverance to track it down. After you follow Acklan and usasma's advice do this:
  • Run CLEANMGR
    Click 'Start' then 'Run' and type cleanmgr and click OK.
    A grey box appears that says 'Select the drive you want to clean up.'
    In the pulldown menu select your harddrive, e.g. 'HP_PAVILION (C:)'.
    Then click on OK to run the disk cleanup.

You can also access cleanmgr by clicking Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
  • Reboot in Safe Mode
    Usually achieved by tapping the F8 key as the system is booting, then selecting 'Safe Mode' from the menu.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
  • Run Scandisk
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>ScanDisk
    Click to highlight the drive you want scanned,if it is not already highlighted.
    Under "Type of test" select 'Thorough' and tick "Automatically fix errors".
    Click 'Start'.
  • Run Defrag
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter
    Select which drive you want to defragment in the pulldown menu.
    Click OK to start.
Reboot normally when finished.
This way at least you know the hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 27 November 2005 - 10:52 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

Rimmer I see you got a new driver's licence. Nice picture :thumbsup: .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users