Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

One of the few areas I'm still learning in and need to ask questions about. I built this PC (Speccy) Back in 2006, my first attempt building a new PC. So far its run very well for me but recently I've done some upgrades, mostly I added 2gb more RAM, added a 500gig HDD + Windows 7 and upgraded the video card. I see newegg has a sale on decent AMD Phenom Processors and I was wondering if I could pop out ye ole windsor dual core for a nice AM2+. However I can't recall if the board itself will work with AM2+, hince I need to call in another ref to review the play.

Current Board:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2

Either:

AMD Phenom II X3 715

AMD Phenom II X4 940

I'd be upgrading the stock fan as well so any recommendations on that front would also be appreciated. I was leaning towards one of the all inclusive liquid cooling fan/radiator/cooling block packs that are out on the market these days for the newbie goober such as myself.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Crazy49er, 14 November 2010 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

For the CPU compatability, according to the chart:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master_mkt.aspx?slanguage=en-us&name=M2N-SLI%20Deluxe

the X3 715 should be OK if you update to Ver 5001 Beta BIOS, but the X4 490 isn't listed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Here is the current support list:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=szSFtrap7crpBaQE&content=specifications

According to the chart the AMD Phenom II X3 715 is supported. There are Phenom II x4 proccessors listed but not the one you have listed. The Phenom II x4 945 is the highest rated proccessor listed on the support list.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

I looked up both the

Phenom IIX4 945 (HDX945WFK4DGM)

Phenom IIX4 955 (HDX955WFK4DGM)

But both of them list as AM3 sockets, I think that may not work? But that further confuses me because they list as being able to work with my AM2 board.... :huh:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2/2+ boards, as long as the boards have BIOS updates available for the CPU.

AM3s have a memory controller for both DDR2 and DDR3, so can use the DDR2 in an AM2 board.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2/2+ boards, as long as the boards have BIOS updates available for the CPU.

AM3s have a memory controller for both DDR2 and DDR3, so can use the DDR2 in an AM2 board.

thanks! I shall keep that in mind. I wanted to upgrade earlier this year to a completely new board/cpu/ddr3 memory but this one seems fast enough and decent budget wise to upgrade and maintain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users