Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cutting RAM MHz in half, can I turn up the timings?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

My HP Mini 1000 came standard with some off-brand RAM rated for 800MHz, but due to the motherboard/processor it's capped at 400MHz, effectively cutting its speed in half. I'm getting a high-quality RAM stick put into it soon and I'm curious if I should be able to turn down the timings, and if that would have any noticeable performance benefit.

I'm also curious if, since it's running at half-speed, I can turn down the voltages at all to save some juice.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 14 November 2010 - 06:48 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware the Atoms run 667 or 800 memory normally as per spec. Where are you finding the 400MHz figure? If it's a bus speed/clock rate, then DDR2 800 is clocked at 400MHz (ie runs on a 400MHz bus).
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware the Atoms run 667 or 800 memory normally as per spec. Where are you finding the 400MHz figure? If it's a bus speed/clock rate, then DDR2 800 is clocked at 400MHz (ie runs on a 400MHz bus).

My only source on the 400MHz figure is Everest but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. It corroborated those numbers across its analysis of the motherboard's FSB, the Atom (400 x 6.66), and the RAM speed. If this number is true, what does it mean for overclocking/underclocking potential?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

Which version of Everest? The original Free 2.20 is a bit baffled by an Atom and does talk about 400MHz. Ver 4.60 Ultimate reports my N270 more reasonably, as does SIW which gives 532MHz FSB - the Mini 1000 is using an N270 correct? They can utilise DDR2 533 or 667 it seems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Mini_1000

If DDR2 800 is fitted, then I guess it's possible timings could be tweaked (bit surprised if an HP BIOS gave that option actually), but I doubt if an Atom is going to notice any difference. It'll hardly be pushing the memory bandwidth. If you've taken the opportunity to increase the RAM to 2GB, then I'd guess the benefit from that would outweigh timings.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ah that's true I hadn't considered that Platypus. I'm using the old Everest Free version that still barks about Athlons and Pentium EE's. Yeah, you're probably right. In that case I'll stick with what I've got. I won't mess around with a laptop that wouldn't be much changed by such an upgrade.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

That sounds reasonable to me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users