Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black storm cloud over top my computer.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Ok, this is a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't bother solving until the last few kind of got me worried. It would be great if anyone can answer any of them.
By the way, it is a T6400 Core 2 Duo, HP DV7 Laptop running Windows 7 Home edition....(or whatever it is. lol).

1. Small problem: Under "Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users >" It used to show my own personal login. I am the only one who uses this laptop, but there used to be two different folders that were in it: (My Login) and Public. Public is the only one that shows now. I half saved things under the public profile and half under mine and I know mine is still there because on several of my libraries (music, pictures, etc..) it shows the two folders.

Problem: It would be nice to know where that folder went.... or why the login account that I'm using currently, apparently doesn't exist...?

2. Small problem: Catalyst Control Center. I've tried everything that all the other forums already advised other people to do, nothing works. CCC won't load, there is no longer any tab in the taskbar, and no connecting folder in the Start menu. Wondering if anyones had the same problems as me and knows how to do it.

3. Major problem: this is a 3 parter, but I'm assuming they are all connected somehow.
1. Upon booting my system, Every single time I get the "Checking C: for consistency" spiel. If I leave it, it freezes when the counter counts down to 1.
2. I type chkdsk into the run on the Start menu, it disappears immediately. I run it as an administrator. "WARNING! Parameter F: is not specified. Running CHKDSK in read-only mode." It runs up to about 10% says that a ton of attribute files from file record segment (#######) is corrupt "Errors found. CHKdsk can not run in read-only mode." and then is disappears.
3. Just got a external harddrive to backup onto. Used the backup function. . It gets about 27% completed and I get the message:
"Check your backup"
The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation.
Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Would all that be caused from a virus? or what did I do wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

What you are experiencing possibly hard drive failure or controller failure.

What kind of drive do you have?

#3 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

From what HD Tune is telling me, it is a: Fujitsu MHZ320BH G2 (320gbB)

Is either of those reversible, or is it scrap?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Download and run the following: Hard Drive Diagnostic Software

#5 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Short test verified I have bad sectors, and extended test failed within 1%..... Sigh*...

So does this mean that I can't backup with Windows backup? And what will that mean for my Windows account? Can I transfer that, or am I screwed now?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Replace the drive, and stop using it till you get a new one.

#7 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the info, but is there any way to transfer my Windows license? I had Vista on here, but then I had the windows 7 upgrade sent out to me.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

You can use the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve your product key. Once you do a clean install on a new hard drive, you can use your old product key. If it gives you beef about activation, just Activate by Phone, and it should be fine.

Be sure to save as much data off the failing drive as you can get. Professional (aka paid) recovery services are available if you aren't able to save critical data.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

CCC is worthless, you should get rid of it. It crashed on my computer no matter what I did. If you uninstall it and let windows update get drivers for your ati graphics it works a lot better. This is what I did and my windows 7 ultimate x64 with old ati unsupported "legacy" graphics hardware works fine.

#10 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Keyboard. Is there anyway I could "highlight" the bad sectors when I'm using the backup function. It seems that right when I hit a certain area is just cancels the whole thing. So I really have no idea what I actually have backed up. Or is there any other good tools to aid this process?
and by the way, this one didn't make sense to me, when I used the backup function and backed up to my external, it took up just under 300GB of space (My original laptop drive is only 320GB) It blew my mind how stupid that was (unless something went wrong). But I figured that the backup should have at least compressed the files into a *slightly* smaller image...
Lastly, anyone cite any place with cheap laptop HDDs? Paying for repairs and being a massive cheap ass don't mix... :(

Thanks thrill, to be honest, I enjoyed CCC when it actually worked. If I can remember, (its been so damn long since it worked) you could change the hue, color definition, etc. Which really helped me since I had to "juicy" up my colors since my standard palette was really bland. But I totally agree with you, I'm getting discouraged by how adamantly it doesn't want to install correctly. Is there any sort of interface I can adjust options with if I follow your recommendation?

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

You can go to start search and type "calibrate display color", but the stock display is plenty bright and colorful for me. In fact, I use a program called f.lux that changes my display to match the brightness of the time of day so it's not blinding in the morning or at night before bed.

The color calibration has gamma and brightness and contrast and color but I have not found anything in windows to duplicate the vibrant theme of catalyst. To tell you the truth I had forgotten about it since I haven't used it in so long. If you really want to use it then go to amd.com and see which one you need. It told me I needed the legacy hardware edition which doesn't come in 64 bit so I ditched it and am quite happy with the decision.

Are you a photographer or into video work? If not I doubt it will make that big a difference.

As far as drives and the expense I would just search around, they go on sale a lot. Check out J&R Electronics, Newegg, Tigerdirect, eCost, amazon, ALLHDD, buy.com, overstock.com, ebay, dell small business, PCNation, Office Depot, take your pick and play them against each other on price. Happy hunting.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9320423AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 59.99

I have that same drive in my wife's Dell Inspiron E1705, and it is fantastic.

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

^ awesome deal, I wish I had sata

#14 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

I bought a 750GB and a 1TB portable hard drive that both use USB. The 750GB is a WD Passport, and the 1TB is a WD Elements. If I opened the enclosure would they be the same type of drives that my laptop is currently using?
and since they are utilizing USB ports, would there be a connection for SATA (is that what the laptops interior hard drive is? >SATA?)

#15 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

needs to be 2.5"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users