Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W 98 Se 4.10.2222 Corrupt File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 briguyMN

briguyMN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

I ran system file checker because I crash all the time ( new AVG software ? ) which said I have one corrupt file I should reinstall but since I bought this thing from Computer Renaissance I don't have the disk. Can I get or where do I go to get this one file?? Will my neighbors old install disk work? Should I forget the whole thing and buy a goldfish? Thanks, briguy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

If we knew what the file was it would be easier to answer your question, but yes, you can use any 98 CD to replace the file. Go to Windows Updates after doing that and make sure this replaced file is not one which needs updating. Do not replace user.exe.

And buy a goldfish anyway. They are easy to care for and don't make marks on your carpet. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 26 November 2005 - 11:35 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 briguyMN

briguyMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

Thanks alot, I'll try that. The file is: setupx.dll C:\windows\system Windows setup function. Would Microsoft have this to download if I can't find a disk?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:56 AM

No, they don't host System files for download.

You can get that file here. The version on my 98SE machine is 4.10.2222 as opposed to 4.10.1998 for that download though so it might cause a problem. Try Windows Updates after you put that file into the C:\Windows\System folder and you might get lucky and have it updated. If not, post back and let us know if its a problem and we'll see what we can do.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 briguyMN

briguyMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

:thumbsup: OK - be patient. How do I get that file here?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

Just download it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users