Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Rom

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mamacat1958

mamacat1958

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

My CD Rom isn't working and I checked the error log and it says it has a bad block. Anyone know what that means. and can it be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

Where did you check the error log and what were you doing when it occurred?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 mamacat1958

mamacat1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

I checked the error log in my help and support. I have a Dell computer. The CD Rom hasn't been working right for a while and now it doesn't work at all. I wasn't doing anything, just checking to see if I could find out what was wrong with it.

Edited by mamacat1958, 14 November 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Wow I am late replying to this thread sorry :huh: In general when I come across a bad Cd/DVD rom drive I clean it out really good with compressed air and check the laser internally (If the customer wants to pay for it. its actually cheaper for them to replace it unless its blue ray) if this doesn't solve the problem I just replace it. Drives are inexpensive enough just to replace when they go bad. In my experience other than the lasers I am not really sure what causes them to go bad unless its a firmware problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users