Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I enough security programs???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank the Bunny

Frank the Bunny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I have a Windows XP laptop and until yesterday it was running McAfee Security Center with Antivirus, Firewall, and Shredder.
However, I've been very frustrated with Mcafee lately, after seeing how it's apparently dead middle in standards for antiviruses,
and I decided to switch to Avira Antivirus free version.

What I have running on my computer now is:

Avira free Antivirus
Malwarebytes Antimalware
Spybot S&D
Windows defender

Here's my question? Is Windows defender going to conflict with Avira, and will Spybot (which I put on the same time I did the Avira) conflict in any way with Malwarebytes?

Also, I now don't have a firewall (I guess, because Avira free doesn't have one) or a file shredder like was in McAfee.
However, I do like Avira since it was able to find stuff McAfee didn't but I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me
if this is a good security setup. Also I never use Internet Explorer, I use Mozilla Firefox with Web of Trust.
Also, what kind of firewall should I use?

Was it a mistake to get rid of McAfee (man I hope not it bugged me)?
I was tempted to try Microsoft Security Essentials but after I saw how long it took to update on another computer...oh boy.

Thanks you for you help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

WIndows Defender should be disabled, spybot should be used for its browser protection settings, Malwarebytes should only be used when called upon by you, and Avira is a free one much like MSE from Microsoft, and its not slow updating at all. The updates are generally 800Kilobytes in size.

But it is never recommended to be running 2 active/real time scanning security tools at once.

#3 Frank the Bunny

Frank the Bunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Okay I'll disable Windows Defender, and as far as I'm aware on my PC, Malwarebytes free doesn't come with realtime protection. Or do you mean defender will conflict with SpyBot?
Also do I have to manually disable Windows Firewall if I install a third party one (like Comodo or Zonealarm)?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

The 3rd Party Firewall will automatically disable Windows Firewall. I would keep Windows Firewall it is pretty good.

#5 Frank the Bunny

Frank the Bunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

okay so Avira, Windows Firewall, and Spybot with TeaTimer is what what I'm running for realtime protection?
I'm not the most computer savvy, so this should be adequate protection for internet use?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? writtne by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If you choose the free version, you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. When installing Malwarebytes, it will create an icon in the system tray near the clock. If you right-click on the icon, a menu will open with several options including the ability to disable it from running at startup by unchecking Start with Windows. However, Malwarebytes' service (mbamservice.exe) will still show in Task Manager which is normal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Frank the Bunny

Frank the Bunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, that's pretty true. I stopped using Ad-Aware awhile back and TeaTimer is definitely not the easiest program to use.
Thank you for your support and help.

I'm going to try out Avira for a while and think about Windows Security Essentials.

Edited by Frank the Bunny, 14 November 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus solution which provides real-time protection that guards against viruses and malicious software. This page provides a brief overview of features and related security links. MSE Support provides several How-to videos for installing, scanning and addressing a detected threat. MSE was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Reviews:Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender if installed since MSE provides protects against spyware. You also need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" anti-virus applications before you can install MSE. See Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials for more information. If MSE is already installed and you try to install Defender afterwards, MSE will advise "Microsoft Client protection has been found. Please remove that product and rerun the setup".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users