Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use PC2100 in PC2700?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Satebs

Satebs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi everyone - this is my first post. I'm usually okay with figuring most things out on my own, but I would rather ask first than have a bigger problem later. My father's desktop is horribly slow. It's a Dell Dimension 2400. Using another site's memory advisor, I see that he can add with either PC2700 or PC3200. In one of my older, non-working computers that I have lying around, I found PC2100. Would this 512mb stick of PC2100 function properly with 256mb of PC2700? If any other clarification is needed, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

i wouldnt bother as it would slow down the PC2700 stick, but yes it will work to answer your question.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

Mixing speeds is frowned upon, especially on the same bank. It will result in anything from data corruption to system lockup every few minutes. Not worth it in my opinion. If you must do it then get a hold of your motherboard's book and see what it says, but again not worth it in my opinion.

#4 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Would it be safer to just remove the PC2700 altogether and install the PC2100?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

What is it that you do on this computer? If it requires faster RAM then no I wouldn't do it. If its just a general use PC like web and email then yeah I would do it.

#6 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

He uses it only for simple browsing most of the time. There are times when he runs a few more demanding programs, but it's rare.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

then yeah I would use the PC2100 RAM since it is 512Megs.

#8 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thank you so much for your time and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users