Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmedude

dmedude

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

I posted to this forum a few days ago and never saw a reply so I am imagining I just wasn't clear.

About a week ago I downloaded and installed a program off the beloved digital goddess - Kim Komando's - website. It was a program that finds duplicate pictures on a hard drive. The program seemed to work pretty well, but after installing and using it for a bit I jumped on the net to do a Google search. I noticed a couple of things. My computer all but locked up, and when I finally DID get to Google via IE8, whenever clicking on a link from a google search the link took me to somewhere unrelated. I am MOST concerned that my 11-year-old daughter will do a Google search and end up somewhere I can't fathom the thought of her seeing.

I have McAfee antivirus installed. It has found some item called jokester and attempted to remove it, but it remains.

When all of this started a few days ago I did several things: I did a system restore from a week prior. I downloaded and installed Super Anti Spyware free edition and ran it. It found a ton of things (mostly in the temporary internet files) and removed them. I also have Norton internet security and ran it. It came up with a couple of items and supposedly removed them. Yet, the problem persists.

When I posted to this forum a few days ago I attempted to follow the rules of "Preparation Guide for Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help." Following this guide I installed and ran the defogger, the dss thing and the gmer. I tried to copy and paste the results of the dss log but when I did it would not post my topic.

I have checked my original post and have not gotten any replies and am not sure why. I am at wits end. Because my wife and daughter have annointed me the "IT guy" they are about to riot because I won't let them on this computer until I have eradicated the bug.

Any help and/or reply would be MOST appreciated. I will check back frequently and promise that to get it fixed, your wish is my command!

Thanks in advance!

The "family IT guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

Apologies for the lack of reply in your original topic, but I'll try and get your original topic merged into this one (or closed), since having two will only cause confusion.

Let's try and get another set of DDS logs and see if you can paste the DDS.txt log into your reply. If you're unable to paste it in, then try and attach it.

Also, there are a few other things we need to take care of...

Two Anti-Virus products installed

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove either McAfee or Norton.

Out of date Java installation

Important Note: Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Microsoft: ‘Unprecedented Wave of Java Exploitation’
Drive-by Trojan preying on out-of-date Java installations
Ghosts of Java Haunt UsersPlease follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 22 (JDK or JRE)".
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE...License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • If using Windows 7 or Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the Java Setup - Welcome window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
-- Starting with Java 6u10, the uninstaller incorporated in each new release uses Enhanced Auto update to automatically remove the previous version when updating to a later update release. It will not remove older versions, so they will need to be removed manually.
-- Java is updated frequently. If you want to be automatically notified of future updates, just turn on the Java Automatic Update feature and you will not have to remember to update when Java releases a new version.

Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications but it's not necessary.
To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter.
  • Click Ok and reboot your computer.

Out of date Adobe Reader

Your version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Adobe components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Adobe Reader Version 9.3. and save it to your desktop.
  • Uncheck the "Free McAfee Security plan Plus" option or any other Toolbar you are offered
  • Click the download button at the bottom.
  • If you use Internet Explorer and do not wish to install the ActiveX element, simply click on the click here to download link on the next page.
  • Remove all older version of Adobe Reader: Go to Add/remove and uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader, Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
    If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer
  • Then from your desktop double-click on Adobe Reader to install the newest version.
    If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the "Adobe Setup - Welcome" window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
  • Once the installation is finished, go here: Adobe Update Page and scroll down to UPDATES/PROGRAMS. From there download: Adobe Reader 9.3.2 update - multiple languages and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click the file AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp on your desktop to start installing the update and follow the prompts.
  • Once the update is done click Exit.
Your Adobe Reader is now up to date!

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

Now for the hard and frustrating part: waiting.

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users