Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:50 AM

Purely as an exercise i tried the Windows Backup.
I have an external hard drive on which is stored a System Image.
All went well until everything was transferred onto another internal hard drive(secondary) at which point i got a message saying "Image Restore Failed"
Error Details.
"Windows backup failed to extend or mount the file system on the recovered volume"
(0x80780124).
I then restarted my computer only to find out that the backup had worked and i had a perfect image on the secondary hard drive.
All very strange.
I should point out that the secondary hard drive was not new but had a copy of XP on it.Maybe this explains it.
i would appreciate other opinions.
Thanks and Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

IMO, find another backup program. I don't know the answer to your question. I used Windows backup one time, with XP, it seemed to backup fine. But when something happened, I had to reformat and then went to use the backup, it did'nt work. It would not restore anything I had backed up. Thankfully, I had most of the important stuff backed up on another drive also.. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

I do a windows backup as well but never have had to use but it's not reassuring to know that if I had restore that it could go wrong. I also have a windows home server that dose a backup every night and hope I never have to use it as well.

Was the xp drive important? Did it wipe the drive or did it just throw windows 7 on it? My recommendation that you you unplug any other drive that you don't want to have any problems with next time that you do it. If you need any data off that drive the only way you can get it is download and purchase getdataback for ntfs on the drive that doesn't have xp or didn't have xp on it and run a scan on the secondary drive.

Good luck,
UByte

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Xp drive that i used was just a spare one i happen to have so i used that.So the image would have gone on top of that.
The only drives connected were the external one with the image on it and the internal XP one
I have heard good reports on the Windows Backup software and was keen to try it.
Next time i shall use a brand new hard drive and see what happens.
Thanks for your interest
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users