Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting:computer Wont Post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

I'm having a problem,

My computer powers up but wont POST. My instincs tell me the motherboard is bad.
When the computer powers up I get no Numlock Light activity on the keyboard, and nothing going to the monitor.
I have tried all combinations of motherboard power jumper setting configurations, two different power cords, and two different power supplys.
The motherboard isn't supplying power to the RAM with either power supply, but is supplying everything else with power, i.e. Graphics Card, CD-ROM, and pretty sure its supplying Hard Drive(its a maxtor, very quiet).

On the back of the power supply i've tried the 115 and 230 settings, different effects to the motherboard, but still the same "has power but wont POST" problem. 230 brings more motherboard LEDs on than 115.
Another observation is, on the 115 setting the computer will power up, sit there for about 5 to 8 seconds then shut down. on the 230 setting however, the computer powers up and just sits there indefinantly.

general comp info:
Serial Hard Drive.
Intel socket 775, DDR2, Intel® 925X chipset Motherboard.
Intel P4 531 i think, might be 630 (1 or 2mb cache).
600 watt power supply

The computer specs:
PS:Comp USA brand 600 Watt Power Supply
MOTHERBOARD:DFI LANPARTY 925X-T2Manufacturer Motherboard Page
CPU:Intel Pentium 4 531 or 630 3.0Ghz / 1 or 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / HyperThreading / Processor
RAM: Corsair 1GB PC5400 DDR2 DIMM XMS2 Dual Channel Memory 512 sticks
VIDEO:BFG Technologies GeForce 6600 GT OverClocked Video Card (PCI-Express)

If you need any further info tell me and I will get that on here a.s.a.p.
Any opinions of suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

Have you tried swapping out the Ram with some good Ram? Since you have two sticks try them one at a time.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:59 PM

If you have another power supply, even if not as high of a capacity, swap them to see if it will operate normally. It sound like you PS maybe bad.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:51 PM

The motherboard isn't supplying power to the RAM with either power supply

- how do you determine this?

On the back of the power supply i've tried the 115 and 230 settings

- I assume your on a 110v supply? If you try that on a 240v supply things tend to go BANG!

Try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, do you have a voltmeter you could check it with? It should be close to 3.3volts. Use the 'Clear CMOS' jumper if there is one (see your mobo manual).

It could also be a faulty CPU, take it out and re-seat it again. Can you put your PSU in another PC or take it to a shop and ask them to test it? If it is OK, and you've swapped out the memory like Leurgy suggested then it's got to be motherboard or CPU, and motherboard is cheaper so replace that first.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:18 AM

FYI: If you take out the CPU be sure to apply fresh thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink. If you do not it will overheat very quickly.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:54 AM

Ok, quick update:

Rimmer, I determined power to the RAM because its brand new corasir XMS2 with LEDs on top of the RAM.

I am gonna try to put my other comp's battery in just to make sure, but I dont have a volt meter so I can't test it.

I've double checked and all the equiptment is supported by each other, i.e. Mobo supports DDR2 etc.

The Power Supply is a half year old 115/230Volt 600 Watt PS, still works fine.
I've tested the PS in another computer, works like new.
Also, I've re-seated the CPU twice and looked at the PINS, all are fine(no bent).

Acklan, I've made sure to get a good thermal compound layer between the CPU and heatsink.

I have tried taking the CPU out completely same effect(no beeps, no video), tried using a 300 watt Power supply, same. I have tried my other computer's good RAM stick(s), same. I have tried taking the battery out of the mobo for 5 minutes as well as the CMOS jumper..oddly the same problem. This is why my isntincts told me my mobo was bad.

Oh and I forgot to tell one crucial thing, the motherboard doesn't beep at all regardless of anything I change.
I have even gone as far as taking EVERYTHING out but the Motherboard/CPU/Power Supply just to see if something was locking the system up and maybe beep, no luck.
The beeps are there troubleshoot problems during the POST. =\

I appreciate the help.

Edited by ColdBlooded, 27 November 2005 - 06:20 AM.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:09 AM

On the back of the power supply i've tried the 115 and 230 settings, different effects to the motherboard, but still the same "has power but wont POST" problem. 230 brings more motherboard LEDs on than 115.
Another observation is, on the 115 setting the computer will power up, sit there for about 5 to 8 seconds then shut down. on the 230 setting however, the computer powers up and just sits there indefinantly.

Having the wrong voltage setting on the PSU when starting the computer can destroy the motherboard or the PSU. You should only have used the same voltage as you wall socket.

On the other hand, it could be a short. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface and try starting it with a screwdriver.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 27 November 2005 - 07:11 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users