Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC running slow,Problems w/MSword, Internet explorer problems with popups and blocked sites

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thebigmac01

thebigmac01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:31 AM

Hi,
This is my first post here, so I hope that I follow all of the rules. And thanks in advance for any help. My computer has been running slow for a while, and I think one of my kids might have gone to a website that allowed some malware in. My OS is Windows XP SP3. I have noticed a few things, 1. Had a problem with Adobe acrobat reader, it wouldn't update for some reason, and couldn't open PDF files for a while, after uninstalling and reinstalling several times, I think it is now working. Also noticed more recently when working in MS Word 03 every once in a while it won't let me save files. Now I am noticing that when I have Internet Explorer open for a while, IE tries to pop open a new window, to which the IP address is blocked by K9 web protection 91.212.226.6 is the IP. After googling this IP address, I found a few posts leading me to think there might be a trojan kicking around on my pc. I have run MBAM and Hijackthis in an attempt to find the culprit, but MBAM comes up clean, and I can't find it on Hijackthis. Any help woould be appreciated.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

1. Start an Office program.
2. On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
3. In the Detect and Repair dialog box, do any of the following:
* Click to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box. By default, this check box is selected. If you select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option, Detect and Repair will keep your custom Office shortcuts. If you do not select this option, Detect and Repair will remove your custom Office shortcuts.
* Click to select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings check box. If you select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings option, Detect and Repair will set the following back to the state that they appeared in when you first installed Office:
o The Assistant character selection.
o Most-recently-used entries on the File menu will be removed.
o The size of the program window for all programs.
o Menu and toolbar position and any customizations.
o The security level for each program.
o View settings in the program, such as the Calendar view in Outlook.
o You must re-enter your User Name and Initials when you restart your Office programs.
4. Click Start.
5. Click Ignore if the Close Office Programs dialog box displays the following message (where program is any Office program that is currently running):
In order to correctly pick up or restore your settings, the following programs must be closed:
Microsoft program
6. After the repair process has completed, click OK to the following message where edition is the version of Office that you have installed (for example, Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003):
Microsoft Office edition Setup completed successfully.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users