Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a home network but absolutely clueless

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

I've used networks for years at work and now I want to set up one at home. Currently I have a Dell XPS 600 connected to a DSL modem and connected to the phone line. I have an AVG firewall.

What I wish to do is setup a network with my PC, a new laptop and make the printer I have into a shared printer. I would want the network to be wireless and I will probably need a router.

So...

My PC has an Ethernet connection and because it is old I bet I'd need a wireless adapter for it. The actual network can be setup with the Windows XP network wizard and a flash drive I assume. And as for a basic home router, are there different kinds? And would the router itself be sufficient to use as a firewall? Would the connection be phone line to router to DSL modem to PC?

Like I said I'm clueless so if you can recommend any kind of tutorial I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

How many computers are you wanting to network?

#3 HydroLar

HydroLar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

My main PC and a laptop
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Then I would recommend getting a router: Cisco Linksys - E1000 Wireless-N Router which is 60 bucks.

#5 HydroLar

HydroLar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thanks, Cryptodan. This is just what I need and cheaper than I had thought. Would the setup be phone line to router to DSL modem or phone line to DSL modem to router?
Posted Image

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

DSL Modem to Router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users