Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

persistent unwelcome icons at top of file tree

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcusr

pcusr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

Running xp sp3

There are two icons not behaving as i'd like
Posted Image

1. 6700s on local
Posted Image
On right click, error message says 'unable to communicate with imaging device'. There is no option to delete. When it is selected in Windows Explorer, the right pane is empty.
This appears whenever I connect my phone because I made the mistake once of running nokia’s noxious ovi software suite. [Much better to connect the phone as mass storage and uninstall the bloated and buggy nokia software, whose main almost ONLY function is to suck you into buying stuff from their shop!] Uninstalling the ovi software and clenaing up the left-over files with revo has not helped.

2. Lg phone.
Posted Image
This came from phone software that has been uninstalled, and revo uninstaller and c cleaner can neither of them see it or remove it. Unlocker cannot see it on right-click. No delete option
In windows explorer, selecting this shows in the window on the right a replication of the entire file tree of the machine.
Posted Image
Grrr

I’d be grateful for advice on how to get rid of these.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

If the uninstallers have left the garbage behind then then only way I have been able to successfully get rid of stuff like that is to directly edit the registry. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell you what to delete when doing this but I will give you a few simple rules to follow if you should decide to go this route.

1. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, make a back up copy of the registry before doing any editing and save it somewhere easy to find in case it needs to be restored via the command line.

2. The find and find next functions are your best friend when looking for know or somewhat known quanitities in the registry. use terms like LG, Nokia, ovi or anything else associated with the offending software. Keep notes if you find other files associated with the software and search for them too.

3. Delete with care. If you are not sure it relates to the software...leave it alone. Delete the parameter on the right only if there are several things listed and you are not sure if all of them are related. If it lists only things relating to the software delete the entire key.

4. Go slow and don't be afraid to search a particular dll or other item online to find out what it is. You don't want to crash your PC trying to remove the offending software.

That's about it....I know it isn't much but it is about the best that can be done with an unknow entity. Good luck.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

First place I would check would be to see if they are listed in the Device Manager then delete them from there in Safe Mode via hitting F8 after the BIOS Post screens.

#4 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

Thanks, Baltboy, Cryptodan. Forgot to say before the things aren't in the device manager, so no joy that way. Will go in and do registry surgery, taking your good advice. I can't believe the frigging gall of these people to put their stupid trivial little icons right up there in the tree on the same level as the drives.

Edited by pcusr, 14 November 2010 - 01:35 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

Before making registry edits use the following: ERUNT to make a backup of your registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users