Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Removal Equals Xp Crash

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:16 AM

Hi,
I recently received what looked like and offical warning from microsoft or something like that that my windows firewall has detected viruses/spyware and that I must install a new antispyware program from the following site. I did this and SpySheriff was installed. It the showed that my pc was riddled with worms, trojans etc. Spysheriff was not able to fix these unless I upgraded. My pc then showed popups every second saying my pc was infected. When online Norton antivirus would show that it was scanning outgoing mails which I did not send, half of which were rejected because the receiver address no longer exists. I looked for other options which lead me to a webpage that said that spysheriff was bad and needs to be unistalled.
I then ended up at bleepingcomputer and wanted to use the hijack facility. I first followed all the instructions.
I cleaned out all the temp/internet files.
Scanned with Spybot, Adware and Spyblaster (these removed a few spyware programs)
Installed and ran MacAffee advert stinger
Downloaded Sygate firewall.
After installation of Sygate I rebooted. Windows half loaded and is currently frozen with the light blue loading screen which says "Windows is starting up..."
Numerous reboots and it just stops there.
I have no recovery disk.
What can I do.

System:
2.4 Ghz Pentium 4
512 megs ram
Windows XP home edition
Norton antivirus 2005 recently virus updated

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:23 AM

Hello Billy the Kid and welcome to BC.

Seems you have quite the problem. Can you boot into Safe Mode? If you can, do a System Restore and hopefully the Sygate will be gone. The other option is to boot to Safe Mode and go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Under the Startup tab remove the checkmark from the Sygate program so it doesn't load when you boot.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode.

If you can, download HijackThis to a floppy or CD and run it on the affected computer.

HijackThis Installer Download Link

You can then post a HiJack This log in our Forum. See Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer. Do as many of those steps as you can before submitting a log. If, for some reason you still can't boot, come into the chat channel and we may be able to help you there. See "Chat" at the top of this page.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:00 AM

Hey Leurgy, thanks for the reply. I am at a loose end and really appreciate the help you and this website provide. I am a relative newby at pc maintenance but I see from previous posts on other problems that there is sometimes light at the end of the matrix.

I searched for Sygate after booting up in safe mode but it wasnt there. So I restored the system back to what it looked like on wednesday evening. After wednesday was when I surfed a lot especially filesharing services like limewire and andr.net looking for editing progs. Anyway I did not mention earlier that one of the problems that comes up as well is that coolwwwsearch keeps reappearing after a spybot scan.
attached is the hijackthis log. I am sure you will be able to read much into this...or at least I hope you will.
Once again, many thanks!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 05:38:45 PM, on 2005/11/26
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Santa Cruz Networks\Festoon\Festoon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\paytime.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\winstall.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tool2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tool2.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Philips\LightFrame 2\LightFrame.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.344\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = c:\secure32.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O2 - BHO: LF_BHO Class - {43D29D14-460E-4F3A-9037-E60F11EF12F0} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\LightFrameIECOM.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\W
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Festoon] C:\Program Files\Santa Cruz Networks\Festoon\Festoon.exe /BOOT
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PayTime] C:\WINDOWS\system32\paytime.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Shell] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PayTime] C:\WINDOWS\system32\paytime.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: LightFrame 2.lnk = C:\Program Files\Philips\LightFrame 2\LightFrame.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {78AF2F24-A9C3-11D3-BF8C-0060B0FCC122} (AcDcToday Control) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\AcDcToday.ocx
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse...pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {C6637286-300D-11D4-AE0A-0010830243BD} (NOXLATE) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\InstFred.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F281A59C-7B65-11D3-8617-0010830243BD} (AcPreview Control) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\AcPreview.ocx
O18 - Protocol: Festoon - (no CLSID) - (no file)
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: msupdate - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msupdate32.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

You are currently using hijackthis from a temp directory. This can cause problems. Please create a directory on your c: drive called c:\hijackthis and download and unzip hijackthis into that directory. Run the program from that directory from now on.

For a tutorial on how to use HijackThis please see the following link:

Using HijackThis to Remove Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

Print out these instructions and then close all windows including Internet Explorer.

Then I want you to fix some of those entries. Please do the following:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Run Hijackthis again, click scan, and Put a checkmark next to each of these. Then click the Fix button:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = c:\secure32.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\secure32.html
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=explorer.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O2 - BHO: LF_BHO Class - {43D29D14-460E-4F3A-9037-E60F11EF12F0} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\LightFrameIECOM.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\W
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PayTime] C:\WINDOWS\system32\paytime.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Shell] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PayTime] C:\WINDOWS\system32\paytime.exe
O18 - Protocol: Festoon - (no CLSID) - (no file)

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode

Then delete these files or directories (Do not be concerned if they do not exist)

c:\secure32.html
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe
C:\winstall.exe

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode.

Download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Place a shortcut to Panda ActiveScan on your desktop.

Please download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Please read Ewido Setup Instructions
Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.

If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, follow these download and setup instructions, otherwise, check for updates:
Ad-Aware SE Setup
Don't run it yet!

Next, please reboot your computer in SafeMode by doing the following:
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

Run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.
  • You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one.
  • If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
  • DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
  • If you are unsure of any entry found select none for now.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save report button at the bottom of the screen.
  • Save the report to your desktop
Close Ewido

Next go to Control Panel click Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

Reboot back into Windows and click the Panda ActiveScan shortcut.
- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
- A new window will open...click the Check Now button
- Enter your Country
- Enter your State/Province
- Enter your e-mail address and click send
- Select either Home User or Company
- Click the big Scan Now button
- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan
- When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location.
Post the contents of the Panda scan report, along with a new HijackThis Log, the contents of smitfiles.txt and the Ewido Log by using Add Reply.
Let us know if any problems persist.

#5 Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

Hi Grinler,
Glad you are on board. A quick question relating to the current problem.A while ago I switched login names with my wife, i.e. I changed the settings from my desktop login like the name to her name and then created a new one in my name. Anyway, in normal mode I am working in her login (no passwords required). But in safe mode there is only my original login (before I changed it to her login) and Administrator. All the work I have done in safe mode has been under the administrator login. Unfortunately Adware SE is installed but under all the logins in safemode, none of them have uptodate definitions. Is it SAFE to download new definitions from safe mode. I cant do it in normal windows because that seems to freeze during the start up process. It also appears the pc is still sending emails (that I didnt write). I see this when Norton/Symantec scans them.
Sorry for this confused email but i don't want to stuff up and make your life more difficult when things get worse here.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

No..thats fine. You can log into safe mode with networking and do all the updating there. It would be best if you ran this fix from each profile if thats possible though in safe mode. I find it strange that you do not see your wife's profile, but you do see yours and the administrator one.

#7 Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:09 PM

Finally. Thanks for the help so far...and the patience! I installed all the relevant software on both logins did all the required scans on my login and most of the required scans for my wife's login. The results for both logins were pretty much the same.
Below are the reports for the different scans:

smitRem log file
version 2.7

by noahdfear

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
The current date is: Sun 11/27/2005
The current time is: 1:08:00.67

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

checking for ShudderLTD key

ShudderLTD key not present!

checking for PSGuard.com key

PSGuard.com key not present!

Existing Pre-run Files

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Miscellaneous Files/folders ~~~

Remaining Post-run Files

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Miscellaneous Files/folders ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

CLEAN! :thumbsup:

---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 1:42:10 AM, 11/27/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 42EF3655

+ Scan result:

C:\WINDOWS\hosts -> Trojan.Qhost.el : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

Panda Activescan_27_11_2005

Incident Status Location

Adware:Adware/Secure32 Not desinfected C:\WINDOWS\secure32.html

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:42:25 AM, on 11/27/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Philips\LightFrame 2\LightFrame.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: LightFrame 2.lnk = C:\Program Files\Philips\LightFrame 2\LightFrame.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {78AF2F24-A9C3-11D3-BF8C-0060B0FCC122} (AcDcToday Control) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\AcDcToday.ocx
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse...pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {C6637286-300D-11D4-AE0A-0010830243BD} (NOXLATE) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\InstFred.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F281A59C-7B65-11D3-8617-0010830243BD} (AcPreview Control) - file://C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\AcPreview.ocx
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

Thans for the help Grinler. I will test the system with the antispyware and antivirus progs again in the morning. I guess the secure32.html in the windows directory will have to go but I will await your feedback before I go further. Now for some sleep.
Cheers and thanks again. At least windows boots up now!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:03 AM

Yes you can delete the secure32.html. Log looks clean now. Test it out and tell me how it runs. If its good, I will give you the prevention speech :thumbsup:

#9 Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:44 AM

Grinler, you and your team are a bunch of geneii (I cant even spell it). Thank you so much for all the help. So far all seems to be running well and there was only a minor msn spyware file detected. I have drawn up a list of weekly checks and updates to do and am now cutting down my surfing of dodgy sites bigtime. Mu only question is, and I know this was discussed in a forum previously, is the use of Limewire. There were a couple of conflicting ideas. But is it true that if my updates for antivirus/spyware are up to date and I scan the files that I download then there shouldnt be any problems. I just have a single file I need to download then hopefully I never have to go back there. I think these problems originated somehwere between adding a video conference function addon to Skype and loading small programs from Limewire. If you recommend Limewire should be avoided are sites like www.andr.net and www.limneos.net any better. This is probably a question for a different type of forum but thought I would bounce it off you again so that I dont have to bother you when my pc goes down the tubes. Hopefully not.
Anyway, many thanks from my wife and I. She is smiling again. Please pass on my thanks to Leurgy and your team. Its good to know not everyone is out there to make life hell for pc users.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

Well heres the scoop on limewire and other associated file-sharing programs. I wont get into the legality of these programs, as you and I both know whats legal and not. What I will tell you, though, is that when you download warezed programs, the cracks are often filled with malware. So when you run the crack, you tend to get infected as well. So, with that in mind, there are definitely risks when using limewire and sites like the ones you mentioned. So with all that said.....

Heres the prevention speech :thumbsup:

Now that your clean:

Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and reenable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

Next,

This process will clean out your Temp files and your Temporary Internet Files. Please do both steps:

Step 1:Delete Temp Files
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others. If you had trouble deleting a file, reboot into Safe Mode and follow this step again. You should now be able to delete all the files.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.

Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Glad I was able to help and if there any other problems related to your computer please feel free to post them in the appropriate forum. Though we help people with spyware and viruses here at BC, we also help people with other computer problems! Do not forget to tell your friends about us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users