Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys!

I've done some searching on Google and on BleepingComputer and I just can't seem to find the answer.

So recently I've been receiving messages from Windows saying that my Samsung hard drive is about to die or as they say "an imminent failure, please backup". Even when I start my computer they give me this message, and I have to click F1 before continuing boot-up. (This isn't the problem I'm posting for but hopefully someone may have an answer to what this means)

Okay so here's the problem. Recently, I've had an Iomega Storcenter Network Hard drive. It consisted of 2x500gb. When I came back from vacation however, I powered it on, and something went wrong. I took it to my uncle who works for a computer hardware company, and he says that one of the hard drives have died. Data on there could not be recovered because it was programmed to write a bit of the file on one hard drive and another bit onto the other, so when one dies the other's data cannot be recovered. So he gave me an external hard drive casing, and put my hard drive into it. I power it on and everything, plug it in via USB. My Windows gives me a little popup on the bottom right hand corner, saying that the USB mass storage device has been properly installed. However, when I enter My Computer, the hard drive is not visible. I go to Device manager, and surely USB mass storage device was right under my Samsung Hard drive. I then go into Computer Management, and I see Disk0 and Disk1. Disk0 being my Samsung drive. They're both online. However when I try to access Disk1 (my external HDD), it won't let me. The options in right clicking are greyed out. How can I use this hard drive?

I've attached a ss of the computer management screen. I THINK i've linked it to imageshack I don't know what happened to to the old school attachment button :(

Windows Vista
4GB RAM (GSkill)
Nvidia Geforce 8800gt
Samsung 500gb HDD
Owned for 3 years.

Any feedback will be great! :)

Posted Image

Edited by LatitudeZ, 13 November 2010 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

I'd say that you need to format it and create at least one partition.

A drive which has been in a RAID configuration where it records 50% of the data...doesn't seem to mean much to Windows when it's not in the RAID configuration.

You should be able to format it in Disk Management, assign a drive letter to any partition created...and then My Computer will see it as something which can be useful.

Before I did any of this...I would run the correct respective manufacturer's long test from the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Whatever killed the other drive...may also kill the current one which works...so a test would be in order, IMO.

Louis

#3 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:40 AM

Hello!

Thanks for the quick reply!
But as you can see, when I right click the drive it doesn't seem to let me do anything other than "delete volume". I can't find a way to format it.

Thanks once again!

LatitudeZ

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Yes, I guess I thought that was understood.

Anytime there is an existing partition...and I have to/want to create a new partition in that same space...I first delete the existing partition/file structures. At that point in time, if I have problems...I know that it's a drive problem and not carryover from the previous partition structure.

Delete, then recreate...is my method.

Formatting takes place when everything else is obliterated. Creating unallocated space by deletion...will yield the format option for the newly created unallocated space.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users