Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is totally broken :(

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hello, I really need help, I'm currently using my friends laptop as my laptop is in desperate need of a pc hospital :( - here's the problem. I bought a refurbished HP Compaq Presario V6000 from one of those computer "fix it" stores last year. I paid more for this computer than these versions are brand new in the store <<< slaps my head for this one. Anyway, everything was good with my computer up until the last few weeks. I don't normally download stuff, although I did something real bad (trying to find wifi wpa key unlockers) more or less to make sure that my connection was safe & unhacable, but I'm almost sure that one of the several programs I downloaded was severly destructive. <sigh> anyway I know I shouldn't have, but I did and now it's done,and I'm at my wits end using my friends computer here to try to fix my computer <<< my computer is my life, I'm literally going nutswithout it, and I don't have the $$$ to get it fixed :(. Ok so if somone can help me without hitting me <<< even though I do deserve a good rap on the noggin.

Problem,
The computer did not come with a recovey CD - I tried to order one from HP (Canada) and there is so much red tape to cut throug, I just said "frig it" and the next time I go to Vancouver, I will go to an HP retailer to buy one. The computer apparently originally had Windows Vista <<< blech ... but that is he Authentic windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop (Windows Vista). The computer guy at the store where I bought my laptop gave me a "sata ghost" CD (which I have no idea how to use) and a Authentic Windows XP key "probably from the restore cd that he used" anyway all was good for like 1 year. Then about the last few weeks (approx 3-4 weeks) I started having issues. First I was not able to find my wifi connection - my router wasn't even showing in the list - I tried direct connecting with the ethernet directly from he cable modem "Motorola docsis type" and my computer seems to have lost that "Fast eternet Controller" <<< I can't find it anywhere! I attempted to restore my computer via the recovery console and it created a new partition - so now I have that "welcome to Windows XP - you have so many days left to register and no connections /drivers available at all - not wireless, not ethernet, nor dial up :( pretty much a dummy partition ??? ... my drive that I use or want to use, with my resume & stuff all saved on it is now on the 2nd partition - I'm not sure which of the two is either C:\ or D:\ .... assuming the one I want to use is C:\ <<< the drive with my personal files, I tab down to the 2nd windows startup and my computer goes through the boot process then flashes a BSOD with: IO SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in wmiacpi.sys (WDM DRIVER ERROR 20e) [wmiacpi.sys+152F at B9BC252F] - I restarted in savemode and deselected the wmiacpi.sys for driver verifaction - restarted and still received the above message only now a "slightly" different error:
IO SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in wmiacpi.sys (WDM DRIVER ERROR 20e) [wmiacpi.sys+152F at BA56D52F]. Bottom line I am unable to run the windows that I want to use (well either of the ones installed) neither of them are finding any of my internet connections - including the direct connection nor the wifi - well it's picking up all the other wifi's in my buildng of 34 units, except for mine.

My friend has loaned me his laptop (that he uses for his business) so it's imperative that this one doesn't get infected. I'm only borrowing it for the internet so that I can find the help fix my computer. I'm not able to download any detection devices on my computer, but I know how to save downloads to CD's ... just hopefully my computer can read them. My friends computer is also an HP running Windows 7. I will keep tabs on this thread in hopes of someone that can help me.

Much thanks,
Trina /Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise

HS Tech Support HD Agentangel_not.gifangel_not.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Newbie here, when you can run yuor system, the one that works, can you go to Event Viewer?
So you have Vista installed?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-Event-Viewer

#3 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hello, We all newbies at one time or another :) yes I can only run the partion I want to fix in Safe Mode, but yes in Safe Mode I am able to "view" the Event Viewer. I believe the computer had backups /reinstals *Drive E:\ installed one with Windows Vista (the originally factory installed OS) and the other with Windows XP (the one the computer guy installed) - not able to contact this computer guy as I have no phone anyway neither of those backups are accessable, or readable or copy-able :(

Tequilla Sunrise

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Is there any valuable data on this drive?

#5 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hello,

On the newly installed partition - No - No valuable information it just loads up like a cloned version of Windows XP.
On the old partition YES - ALL of my valuable information is still there, but I can only access it in safe mode,and most of the drivers are not working and /or not found (unaccessable) like all of my networking tools, drivers etc ... the i386 folder is there, but the connections be they dial up <<< which I'm unable to test as my apartment does not have a working phone line (I can't afford both internet & phone, so the phone bit the dust :( ... anyway, there's no dial up access or modem available, no ethernet, and the wifi is kinda /sorta there, but it's not picking up my router, nor is it allowing me to add it. I'm very frustrated with this atm ready to just take the dang laptop and toss it in the ocean to see if it can swim and laugh like a madwoman when it sinks :( and then kick my butt all the home for destroying my life line :( Help ... please!

Tequilla Sunrise

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Which partition is bootable in safe mode? Seems to me like you do not have a complete install of Windows.

#7 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

P.S.

When I bought the computer, the computer guy gave me the "Sata ghost" CD with the instructions written on the back of the sleeve as follows:
1) Boot from CD
2) Select option (2)
3) Go to CD Drive
4) Type "Ghost"

Aparently both the Windows Vista <<< original factory installed OS with the Authentic key on the bottom of the computer
and also Windows XP <<<< the OS I've been using & LOVE since I bought the computer and it died are both on this "sata ghost" CD. He did not supply the Windows XP key but he said it was on the disk ? assuming he meant this sata ghost disc.

That's it, I have no idea what to do after that and this cd loads up as shell or Dos format (I think via the BIOS) ?? I dunno. I don't know very much abut this CD :(
Also some information you may or may not find useful my computer is a HP Compaq Presario V6000 s/n: CNF65225X9 p/n: RU678UA#ABL Service Tag: V6210CA --> not sure if this is Helpful or not. My old computer (before I bought this one) took a fatal drop thanks to a dogs tail off of a table an literally smashed into pieces (hence the reason I had to buy the refurbished computer) I still have the original Discs from the Dell Inspiron <my old computer> (Windows XP OS and the driver recorvery discs) <<<< would it be better to do a full install with those discs from a completly different machine?

Tequilla Sunrise

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

I would try typing ghost since that is probably what allows you to install the OS again, and the 1st option is probably a repair tool that loads a live Operating system from the CD.

#9 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

Which partition is bootable in safe mode? Seems to me like you do not have a complete install of Windows.

the drive that I love and have been using is bootable in safe mode, if possible I would like to just delete the new drive. When my computer boots up, I have to select which partion to load, both have the same name, but if I do nothing, the new drive loads up, which I think is a clone. If I arrow down to my drive which still has my desktop icons and background etc ... crashes with that BSOD & error msg in the first thread,and if I stop it from loading by booting "that" one in safe mode, I am able to load everything like normal - but there's no inernet connection found or addable if that makes sense. I have no idea how to fix this if it is the Windows install thing. And why would it just stop all of a sudden ??? I used it for like over a year without any issues, until now :(

Edited by Tequilla Sunrise, 13 November 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Tequilla Sunrise

#10 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I followed the instructions on the disk, and when the ghost loads up, it shows a big gray box with these option about "images" and from there I'm totally lost :( I don't know what to select ... how to read this disk ... maybe frustration has overtaken my brain :( I don't know, but this cd might as well be japanese for this english canadian cause I don't understand a lick of it :(

Tequilla Sunrise

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

The images could be fore Windows XP or Vista since you said the CD has both on it, so you have 2 drives in the computer?

#12 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

yes I believe so

Tequilla Sunrise

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Can you go to Device Manager via System Properties then go the Disk Drives?

Whats all listed?

#14 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

Can you go to Device Manager via System Properties then go the Disk Drives?

Whats all listed?

Cannot boot computer normal - have rebooted in safe mode with networking - internet still not accessable however to answer the above

Able to access Control Panel
Able to access "System"
clicked on "hardware tab" - all is fine
clicked on "Device Manager" and absolutely nothing but a big white box <<< so no not able to access the device manager. Wow I really did some big damage to my computer :( (cries)

Tequilla Sunrise

#15 Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla Sunrise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

I restarted again now even all the safe mode options will start loading the OS and then crashes at that BSOD - so again on the restart I NOW have this:

"" Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
(both of these are the ones I talk about above) and the top one is the "cloned" one and bottom one is my drive that contains all my files. Neither will work, although the top one doesn't need safe mode to boot up it's pretty much useless though. The bottom one "Was" able to start in safe mode, and now it won't :( The bottom one is the one that I'm trying desperately to fix. The top one, I just want to get rid of it.

And NOW there's a "Third" one Labled:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

So my boot options NOW look like this:

Please select the operating system to start

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition <<<< this is my drive I'm trying to fix, now I'm unable to access it :(
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

Tequilla Sunrise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users