Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0142

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi folks. I know there are probably old threads about this, but I don't really have the time to look for and through them at the moment. I hope that's alright. Could one of you nice folks please tell me if a 0142 code is possible to fix simply by re-imaging the drive, and/or if there is another way to fix the problem without sending back the drive to the manufacturer?

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Please post the entire error message...as it appears onscreen.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Although you did not post your computer's make or model number I have done some research and found your computer is most likely a Dell.

0142 is a sign your hard drive is about to fail, I would take it you already ran the Dell hard drive diagnostic utility. If I am incorrect, you should try running it.

If you have already ran the diagnostic utility, your only course of action at this point is to get a second hard drive ASAP.

You can either clone this hard drive to the new drive, by putting the second hard drive in as a slave drive.

You can find cloning software on the web or on store bought disks.

You should if anything start moving your files to another drive ASAP.

There is a possibility of creating another partition on your hard drive where disk damage has not already taken place. However I do not recommend this, because if the read/write heads are the cause or if the controller board on the hard drive is the cause, you will do all this work for nothing and you could lose the data on the drive completely.

So I at this point can not recommend for you to do anything other than cloning or a transfer to another reliable hard drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

Error Code 0142
2000-0142
Unit 0 - Drive Self Test failed
Status Byte 79

That's all I wrote down when this happened. I hope that's enough for you. :)

This is a Western Digital WD1600AAJS -- 160 GB

Thanks again!

#5 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

Bruce, you are correct that it is a Dell, and you are correct that I ran the Diagnostic utility. Thank you for your advice. I was thinking/hoping that maybe I could fix it all if I just re-imaged the machine, and I was not sure if a corrupted OS could throw this error even if the hardware itself was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users