Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

windows update wants to install an "important" update for Windows Live Essentials (159 MB). The owner of this machine uses
Windows Mail that came with Vista and Live Messenger. The 159 MB package seems to contain all of the "Essential" programs that the owner does not want.

If we choose Hide update the package will sit on the machine taking up space. If we install we get all the programs we do not want or use.
Where is the "just go away so the update icon will leave me alone until the next important update" button ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

"Hide" option doesn't download anything, so it won't be taking any space.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

You can perform it manually by doing the following: Download Windows Live Essentials and update only what you want.

And Windows Live Mail is different then Windows Mail so which one is it that they use?

Windows Mail replaced Outlook Express.

But yes Broni's advice will also work as well.

#4 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

thanks for the info guys. it is windows mail, so i guess messenger is the only "essential" she uses. thanks for the link to the windows live mail only setup. i may try it myself.

broni we just hid the update and thats the end of it. although it did say files were downloaded and ready to install so i suspect it landed in the windows installer folder. but i am not going looking for it.

thanks again

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

broni we just hid the update and thats the end of it. although it did say files were downloaded

That's not possible.
If you hide certain update before download process begins, nothing will be downloaded.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users